Where are the Europeans?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

IMO, I don't think the politics of Brexit is going to put determined holiday makers off, whereas the news of violence and terrorism will. I can quote Egypt and Turkey as countries where their tourism has suffered from this.

The Europeans in France, Germany, Belgium and (I think) Spain have also had their unfair share of terrorism, so Europeans know what it's like. I believe the UK is on its highest "alert" level and, knowing that, perhaps Europeans this year are choosing holiday destinations which they consider safer.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Boomhulay wrote:
bornintheuk wrote:
Boomhulay wrote: Come to London, Europeans! London voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU and we consider ourselves a separate country from the rest of the UK! :lol:
Oh and doesn't that say it all about the "United" kingdom.
There are many different aspects of London and not all are pro EU
I take it you voted to leave then? Or, have you already left and did a proxy vote?
Where on earth did you get that from !!!
We left the UK in 1992 and therefore are not eligible to vote.
I consider myself European and hoped that the UK would stay in the EU. No rant !
What would Plato do ?
Boomhulay

Post by Boomhulay »

Honestly, I’m surprised and confused by how some of you are reacting! Where did I blame brexit and for what personal problems exactly?! Business is not personal, it’s business and aren’t we all in the same business here? I mentioned it as perhaps another factor in the falling numbers and I certainly don’t want to rant about it, I’m sick of hearing about it tbh.
I haven’t once said I didn’t like the answers, just that it’s an odd phenomenon that seems to have started this year and is continuing.

If Europeans are reading bad press and not coming, then why are Americans still booking when the things they read about the UK in their media are far more exaggerated? It doesn’t add up, I’d expect to see less bookings from the US, not more.

We have welcomed hundreds of guests from Europe over the years, so it’s a genuine concern that their numbers seem to be dropping off.
It could be that they are booking what they think are cheap Airbnb flats, which is a shame, because once fees and extras are added on, my place is still cheaper and better than most of those and is totally legal, which many aren’t in London. In fact that’s one of the reasons we started this business, to stop people getting ripped off in London! But, saying that, Airbnb has been around a while now and new rules mean many of them have a 90 day rental limit, so you would expect there to be slightly less competition.
Our t&c’s and pricing are very reasonable, so no problem there and a bit surprised that anyone would assume that they would cause a problem unless we’d changed them, or hiked up our prices this year (we haven’t, btw).

I asked here because I thought some people might have better insight into the trends, or might have spotted something I didn’t, but it looks like nobody here has any better insight. It seems to be an anomaly that, for now, has no tangible answers.

Sorry I asked now, quite upset actually, so case closed and sorry if I’ve somehow caused offence, I was just trying to ask for insight and advice.
Drax

Post by Drax »

We have had no European guests so far this year and I have not seen many foreign registered cars in this part of Yorkshire either.
Maybe one of the reasons I have had no Europeans this year is because I no longer subscribe to Owners Direct though one of my rental listing sites, Simply Owners, does advertise abroad.
If the European media does carry adverse and 'anti British' articles relating to Brexit it is possible that it could affect tourism here.
I know that during the recent Scottish Referendum the press were full of articles relating to anti English feeling in Scotland. My wife and I were on holiday in Scotland during the referendum and we were a little apprehensive during our stay there. However we encountered no problems and all the Scots we met were very friendly.
Keep your powder dry.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

My European guests are about the same. A few more Americans this year than usual.

Curiously, I've noticed far fewer Scots. Usually at least 15% of my guests are from other parts of Scotland, but not this year. More like 5%
CSE

Post by CSE »

Please read what was written. bornintheuk and Ecosse made that link which is rather senseless. Both COYS and ourselves said it is rubbish. But you then bornintheuk wrote a a post and your response was with a post that included an accusation. :roll:

However, not once did you discuss safety or costs seriously. with links to prove your case. That is where I get the feeling that advice given to help you think this through is not welcomed. You cannot say well I tell them some tips when they arrive. That is far too late.
Moped gangs, and the great lack of police action is really the only news coming out from London, well apart form what N0 10/cabinet do or don't do. Charging around 5 squid for a pint is ridiculous. Beer in this part of Spain is far cheaper. It is in France, Germany and the Low counties. I give beer as an indication, but there things like eating out, entertainment, other than the TV, London Eye is what these days? the Tower of London? Have a family stay and all of this adds up.
The only Spanish I know go to the UK are to work, see friends or relatives that are working or to take English lessons. The latter is not so popular as the Irish do just a god a job, more friendly and also have the Euro. There must be Spanish who go to the UK just for a vacation. I just cannot think of any.
Dutch relatives:
One couple are really into golf so they would never think about a location in the centre of London. The other couple who has been to London recently stayed in areas cheaper than yours, including Wimbledon.

To be honest the trade is like the weather some years it is a great year others it is poor.
Where you get that trade from is like the winds that blow in they can change all the time.

BTW I have never been to London city, even during the NI terrorist campaign to see armed Police men patrol the airports and the streets. The British bobby was (and still is famous for being unarmed).
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Jschwei

Where are the Europeans

Post by Jschwei »

My experience this year with Europeans is that is a bit better than other years. For example, in 6 years we have had very few Spaniards. My Spanish partner says this is a Spanish mentality that says when on holiday they want a hotel with services and definitely don't want self catering. That said, we got a 10 day booking from a Spanish family from Rioja. Also, currently have a Dutch family....a first for us.

Our "normal" client is a family from USA, Australia or Canada. However, this year the bookings are coming later and later.....for example our bookings, post summer, are half what we had at this point in 2015. After the Bataclan attacks, the forward booking rate has been dropping. Is that because there is more uncertainty? or is it just a random variation that is affecting my specific rental. It's possible the two phenomena are linked.....if my calendar is more wide open, it's more likely dates fit the Europeans who can make plans closer to their trips.
jafa

Post by jafa »

Funnily enough, I was up and down the M3 over the weekend, and commented on how many more foreign cars were on the roads, especially German registrations.
Jafa
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

I was in Wells Somerset today and I can confirm that the entire population of Germany was there, apart from the many who are employed by Norwich City FC :D
CSE

Post by CSE »

You lie, we have at least 2 with us at the moment. :wink:
CSE

Post by CSE »

all the Germans are at their own beaches it seems.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... -northern/
That does not look nice to us. Far too many bodies!