Guest wants to cancel

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
amandajane

Guest wants to cancel

Post by amandajane »

Help needed!

Yesterday I took a booking for 5 nights in just over a weeks time.
Guest paid and completed the booking form. He was a bit fussy, asking whether the garden was shared as his son is scared of dogs but on the basis that it isn't said he was happy to proceed.

I sent him my information pack which gives further details about the parking, and asking people to please not turn their cars on the lawn. Now he says he's concerned about the tight entrance to the drive, doesn't like reversing(!) but doesn't want to park his car elsewhere!

The entrance is tricky, but I've never had anyone unable to negotiate it before and we managed easily when we had a Volvo XC90.

He is asking for a refund.

What would you do? In some respects I'd rather not have him there if he's going to be difficult but I have had my caretaker reorganise her week to accommodate him.
AndrewH

Re: Guest wants to cancel

Post by AndrewH »

amandajane wrote:I sent him my information pack which gives further details about the parking, and asking people to please not turn their cars on the lawn. Now he says he's concerned about the tight entrance to the drive, doesn't like reversing(!) but doesn't want to park his car elsewhere! ...He is asking for a refund.
This man may have changed his mind altogether about his booking and is seeking an excuse to cancel and get a refund. On the other hand, some people (I am one and put it down to my great age) are genuinely not confident about reversing through a tight space and may have dents at the rear to show for it.

Could you not in this one instance make an exception about turning on the lawn, which might now be rock hard due to the present heatwave? I don't have enough knowledge to know if this is a viable suggestion, but it could save having an unpleasant atmosphere if he does take up the booking.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Thanks Andrew. That is a very sensible suggestion. And yes - "lawn" is probably more scrubland!

We try to encourage guests not to turn because the drive is gravel and gravel and lawnmowners don't mix well! But you're right, it may be a compromise.

He does seem like a worrier, keeps mentioning stress. There is plenty of perfectly safe parking nearby. I do want to say "this is DEVON for goodness sake "!
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Thanks Andrew. That is a very sensible suggestion. And yes - "lawn" is probably more scrubland!

We try to encourage guests not to turn because the drive is gravel and gravel and lawnmowners don't mix well! But you're right, it may be a compromise.

He does seem like a worrier, keeps mentioning stress. There is plenty of perfectly safe parking nearby. I do want to say "this is DEVON for goodness sake "!
COYS

Post by COYS »

amandajane wrote:He does seem like a worrier, keeps mentioning stress. There is plenty of perfectly safe parking nearby. I do want to say "this is DEVON for goodness sake "!
Why? It is Devon isn't it? With all the quirks & foibles that make it so attractive.
If he's obviously a stressed out worrier, then you may well end up a (reluctantly) worried & stressed out host. If he's already asking for a refund in such a short timespan from booking I'd be tempted to give it to him. Some bookings are just not worth the grief.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Thanks COYS. I couldn't agree more with your conclusion.

We have had many, many happy guests and never a complaint about the fairly tricky access - in fact we are quite lucky to have off road parking at all where we are.

Whilst the entrance is decidedly awkward, I would say that about 75% of guests use it on a daily basis and the other 25% park across the road, close the gate and only bring the car in when it's time to load and go home. (And it's perfectly possible to stop just outside the gate long enough to load a car). Builders regularly get their vans and pickups in, one a pickup with trailer which astonished me, so it's not ridiculous.

This guest has got himself into a tiz because in my information pack I try to describe the access and he's looked it up on Google and decided he can't negotiate it, and doesn't want to park his car across the road. He describes himself as being a timid driver who doesn't like reversing.

I have as Andrew suggested offered to waive our usual "please don't use the lawn for turning" request but he doesn't want the worry and stress. I think he will be more trouble than it's worth and if he bumps his car ....................!!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I suppose that as it’s so soon after he booked it’s probably best for your own sanity to accept his cancellation, but do us all a favour in the process and point out to him that if he’d made you aware of his special requirements from the start you wouldn’t have accepted his booking... Then refund him less fifty quid admin fee for a) messing you around and b) being a muppet.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

A timid driver??

I have visions of miles of tail backs and queues throughout Devon :shock: :shock:

Trouble is, he will book elsewhere now and none of us will be any the wiser until the traffic delays hit our area :D :D :D
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Done! Thanks everyone.

I offered a refund less £50 and he accepted. I've given my caretaker £35 for having been messed around and shuffled her work to accommodate him.

And you'll be pleased to hear he's not looking for something else! So no traffic delays!