Mid holiday linens change.

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
SW31

Mid holiday linens change.

Post by SW31 »

I let people know, in advance that I will change their bedlinen, towels etc on the Saturday. Our French guests usually go out early that day so I can go in and sort it out, change stuff and clean.
The english guests don’t seem to have any idea. This is the second lot that don’t surface until after midday and then stay by the pool while I go in and out of the Gite. The first lot said my daughter isn’t up yet but you can change our bedding now and then do hers later. I said no I’ll wait and do it in one go. They knew I was going to do it. They leave their night clothes in the bed and stuff everywhere so you have to clean round it.
When the boot was on the other foot, so to speak, we would make sure it was easy for the cleaners, go out and leave sufficient time for them. It’s like they don’t have any respect for you!
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I put it in the house book/instructions that they have to phone me to make an appointment for Saturday or Sunday for clean linen and towels.

We agree a time and I go up and we do the swop - usually in the kitchen or on the terrace. We have a chat etc.

I don't strip their beds or make their beds.

I did, once and many years ago, have a lady who asked me to help her with the beds. It was a gite where we were on site and I didn't mind. The beds had all been stripped and once we'd done her bed and I asked who was next she said "Oh, they can do their own." Charming!!
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

for 2 wks sat-sat for example I make up a basket of replacement linen which I take over on the Friday & ask them to bring back the basket of dirty to me when they have done the change themselves. Live on site so easier, but definitely works for me, often they will not change duvet covers, pool towels etc & return the clean ones - has worked for us for 15yrs no problems
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Tell them when they book and when you chevk them in that you will be there at X (whatever time suits you to do the clean/change of bedding etc). and that you expect to be able to get access to all rooms.
If they're not up.....you just have to explain again that you need access to all rooms and remove the used bedding and towels.
Stand your ground.

We have to do 10am which isn't guest friendly but we explain that we have that slot with the cleaners every Saturday so it can rarely be changed (though we do try)

I can't tell you how many guests over the years have said they'll be out ' as I'm sure that will be easier for you'. But they rarely are. So you just have to work around that....and their things that are enviably scattered across the rooms :o

Mousie
x
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Guests forget they have booked 'self-catering' accommodation (the clue is in the wording there) and not a hotel.

But, even in a hotel they don't clean etc. the room while you're in it. I am always full of admiration that hotels manage to guess when we're out and for long enough for them to do the room.

You just have to make it plain to guests that you are giving them clean linen, you need the dirty linen etc. I don't get involved with stripping/making their beds etc.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

For bookings of more than 1 week I leave a full set of bedding for each bed in the airing cupboard & a fresh set of towels per guest. I usually give a small discount for 2 weeks & make it clear it's up to them to change the sheets etc. I do not offer a mid-stay clean & I expect the house to be left in a clean & tidy condition. Hard? Moi? :wink:
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Yes ditto here - for any booking over 7 days i leave a spare set and let the guests change it. I don't like entering the villa with guests in situ. It's never happened but what would you do if they said something was missing. Also, I hate seeing how some guests live, so avoid entering if at all possible.

I think guests booked a villa for privacy so I respect that.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

gardenboy wrote:I don't like entering the villa with guests in situ. It's never happened but what would you do if they said something was missing.
They know you have the keys anyway and a right of access, so as long as they have advance warning, there shouldn't be a problem.

Imagine you were a builder/plumber etc, you would be going into people's homes all the time. What would you (as a plumber) do if your customers said something was missing? Isn't this the same thing?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

kyreniagirl wrote: I do not offer a mid-stay clean & I expect the house to be left in a clean & tidy condition. Hard? Moi? :wink:
The main problem is that if the oven/hob etc hasn't been cleaned for 2 weeks, the dirt is engrained in and it's much more difficult to get it out. I think also that knowing that you're going to be coming in after a week, means that they take more care?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

newtimber wrote:
kyreniagirl wrote: I do not offer a mid-stay clean & I expect the house to be left in a clean & tidy condition. Hard? Moi? :wink:
The main problem is that if the oven/hob etc hasn't been cleaned for 2 weeks, the dirt is engrained in and it's much more difficult to get it out. I think also that knowing that you're going to be coming in after a week, means that they take more care?
I take your point but we find our oven and glass hob gets little use,there are quite a few really good restaurants and I think most guests eat out. We have so far been very lucky, only a couple of bad turnarounds in 10 years and a lot of our bookings are one or 2 slightly older couples with a dog and generally they respect the house.
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

We never go into any of the gites we caretake to do a mid-clean. We did this once many years ago and a wallet went missing. Nobody actually accused us but it made us feel very uncomfortable. The wallet was found, after their departure, in LeClerc supermarket. We made several trips to collect the wallet as the supermarket obviously wanted proof of ownership so letters had to be e-mailed over with descriptions etc. We sent the wallet back to the UK and never even got a thank you for your trouble. So no more mid-stay cleans.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Judging by the state of our place after a week sometimes I dread to think what it would be like if we never did a mid stay blitz. For 10 or more days we insist on & arrange in advance a 2hr vacancy window to change linens, towels, run the vacuum around & (re)sanitize the bathrooms & kitchen. It is often 40C for weeks on end so without this service we would without doubt be plagued with ants, cockroaches etc on a regular basis, based on the squalour that some folk choose to live in whilst on holiday :shock:
It is hard to bite your tounge sometimes but just handing over a change of linens is not an option & they are aware of this well in advance of arrival. You wouldn't think twice about hotel chambermaids entering & cleaning empty rooms on a frequent basis so I fail to see any difference here. if you don't like it (for whatever reason) go elsewhere. Simple.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

We also offer to change bed linen and towels mid way through a 2 week stay, at a time to suit the guest but we are on site so it is easier.
Very often they say to leave the clean stuff and they'll do it themselves but very often it's useful for us to have a look around the gites to see what it's like and whether we need to start 'working' the guests to so that they are aware we need to the place left clean and tidy when they leave, but as I said, it's a lot easier when you're on site.