Payment for 2 cleaners sharing workload

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
rosebud

Payment for 2 cleaners sharing workload

Post by rosebud »

My caretaker/cleaner suffers from ME so has help from her brother with changeovers. There is a 6 hour window if guests leave and arrive on the same day and washing and ironing has to be done in my cottage on that day.

In June my caretaker / cleaner has had help from another person. I asked how much to pay her and she suggested £40 of my £60 flat rate. The second cleaner had been there just under 2 and a half hours.

Now the second cleaner has helped again this time for 1 hour 10 mins. Again I asked how much to pay and my regular cleaner suggested £15.. based on mumsnet research suggesting hourly rates of £12- £13.

I don't want to lose my regular person who has been very conscientious over 2 and a half years but also don't want to underpay or lose her helper.

When my regular cleaner began in Feb 16 I was paying her £50 if one bedroom was used £60 if both were used. This was too complicated so in Dec 16 I increased her rate to £60..

Should I just pay the helper £15 .. Should I being paying my regular person more £65 or even £70???? My cottage sleeps 3.

I would like a formula I can apply any time the second cleaner comes in
mmg

Post by mmg »

Is the second cleaner coming in to do work that your own cleaner doesn't do, ie extra work? Or to help your cleaner who can't manage the normal work on a particular day due to her condition?

If it's the former, I would pay her the same hourly rate as the first cleaner. Much as I sympathise with your cleaner suffering with ME, you should not have to pay extra to have the same work done.

My cleaner charges a flat rate to clean my 2 bed cottage, including laundry. Sometimes her husband helps her, usually because she wants to finish early. The flat rate remains the same, the same work has been done. I have never paid my cleaner's husband.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

It seems straightforward enough.

You want X work done and agreed to pay £Y for the work. If your cleaner chooses to sub-contract, bring in another person or whatever the rate is the same for the same work. They split the money between themselves as agreed between themselves.

Unless you are specifically employing and paying the two people with agreed £Y for X work then it is down to them to sort out.
Tournesol

Post by Tournesol »

Would there be an insurance issue if a friend or husband is just "helping out" and either hurt themselves or damaged something?
What you've never had you never miss!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi Rosebud, I think I'd just pay your original cleaner (the one with ME) and it's up to her how the work gets done and who does it. If she needs to bring in help then she pays the 2nd cleaner. Wouldn't that work?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

KathyG wrote:Hi Rosebud, I think I'd just pay your original cleaner (the one with ME) and it's up to her how the work gets done and who does it. If she needs to bring in help then she pays the 2nd cleaner. Wouldn't that work?
+1
If she's self-employed then she can find someone else to help - or indeed get them to do it for her. This is why she's self-employed and not an employee.
Circé

Post by Circé »

+1
Our clients do not have to get involved money-wise if we use an extra cleaner or someone to help heave off a heavy winter pool cover or whatever.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Many thanks everyone...

I have done as you advised... (Unfortunately my regular cleaner was rather over generous the first time then had second thoughts the next time she was helped..)

However in the future yes, they will sort out payment between themselves