Recent issues with bedding smelling

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
ClareyD

Recent issues with bedding smelling

Post by ClareyD »

Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had issues with smelly bedding? All our bedding is laundered by a commercial company and stored wrapped in cellophane before each change and yet twice recently we have had problems with the bedding smelling like sour cheesy feet. The first time (that we know of) was when we were staying and I stripped the bed, washed all bedding and mattress, pillow protectors, etc. and aired all the pillows outside. We've had three sets of guests in since then with no comment about bedding, but yesterday the new guests sent a message saying that it smelt of feet. Our housekeeper says it doesn't smell when they take it out of the cellophane. The smell didn't reappear after I washed it the week we were there, which makes me assume it's not the mattress or quilt, but we're at a loss to know what's causing it. Has anyone had similar problems in the past?
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I think the fault lies with the commercial laundry which you use. They are doing something wrong, perhaps in the interests of saving money. You need to have a word with them, I would say.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I think the fault lies with the commercial laundry which you use. They are doing something wrong, perhaps in the interests of saving money. You need to have a word with them, I would say.
Drax

Post by Drax »

It could be caused because the bedding is being wrapped in cellophane for too long a period thus not allowing it to 'breathe'.
Odours do build up in those circumstances.
Keep your powder dry.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Are you/they sure it's thoroughly dry before wrapping? And why do they wrap it in cellophane anyway? It's just unnecessary packaging that as Drax points out prevents airing.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
ClareyD

Post by ClareyD »

Thanks all. I think the bedding is cellophane wrapped to prevent it getting damp in storage, or picking up other smells. But at this time of year it is only in the wrapping for a few days at most as we've got back to back bookings. And the smell if not a damp or musty one (as you'd expect if it wasn't being dried properly), but nasty sour and cheesy. The weird thing is that we're using the same laundry as we have used for the last three years and this is the first time we have had issues. They don't appear to be doing anything different.
We have now bought new pillows and new duvets to see if this makes a difference.