Laundering the linen from unused beds

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Aphra

Laundering the linen from unused beds

Post by Aphra »

Hello

We sleep six, but I strongly suspect we'll get a lot of bookings for fewer than six people. We'll make up all the beds for every booking, but should we wash all the linen?

Do you ask guests to indicate which beds they've used in some way? Eg rolling the duvet back, stripping the bed, etc? (My cousin asks her guests to do something like that, but I cannot remember what, exactly).

It just seems ridiculous to wash unused bed linen, but I know some guests will use every bed in the place - eg to escape each other's snoring.

What's the right thing to do?

Thanking in advance

Aphra
Getting there....
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

If someone has booked at full price then I make all beds up. If discounted as under occupied I ask which beds will be used (or tell them, depending).

If all beds are made up and there is under occupancy then I just ask on departure if there are any beds nor used.....but too be honest they usually tell me first.
I'm on site.....but if I wasn't then I would ask them when giving them the departure info. It sounds easy asking people to do something with the beds but would they remember?

In 99% of cases you can tell the beds not used as the covers are pristine.

Mousie
x
p.s. I do the same with towels too (or you can just ask them to put the used towels in the bath)
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We ask guests to turn down the covers on the beds they've used. We also ask the cleaner to check the other beds. They may not have been slept in but still have been sat on, had luggage put on them, etc. If they look used, or there's any doubt, then they get changed too. I know it may lead to unnecessary washing but I think that's the best way to be sure the bedding is all clean for the next guests, other than washing everything every time regardless.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth