French scam? What are your thoughts??

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Ecosse

French scam? What are your thoughts??

Post by Ecosse »

We received this rather odd email today (direct, not through BC or the likes) and I'm just a bit suspicious. We've had 3 lots of people with the surname 'Martin' stay this summer: 2 that don't match their full name and the third was an off-the-streeter who stayed last week and just doesn't quite fit the profile (they were young friends for a start, not a couple with older person's names). Anyone else come across this? The use of the familiar 'tu' rather than the formal 'vous' makes me suspicious, too:

Email title: Probleme dificulte

Content: Bonjour ,

Puis-je t'expliquer un petit soucis ?

Si oui repond moi rapidement

Merci d'avance

Cordialement
(followed by full name and address which partially checks out to a location near Lyon... I say partially because I could only find a business address in the same town for the husband)
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Very suspicious - I wouldn't touch it
Honi soit qui peu y boit
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

"Hello, Can I explain a little trouble? If yes answer me quickly."
To me it seems they are looking to find a 'soft touch' of whom they can take advantage. They only want to correspond with a kind person who will take their tale of woe on board. They are not saying what it is at this stage, but are just prompting for an answer.

It is a typical conman's line of trickery, but I fear that I am a cynic and it could be a genuine cry for help.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Thanks - you confirmed what I thought. I had laready responded, but with a 'Could you tell me when you stayed as we don't have a contract for anyone under your name' and surprise, surpise, there was no answer so, I think you're right Andrew... they were looking to find a 'soft touch'.