top sheet under duvet? or just duvet?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
carolinec

top sheet under duvet? or just duvet?

Post by carolinec »

I'll be laundering my own bedding from Sep, having had a laundry for the past year (two diff laundries actually both of whom lost around £100 of my stuff grr) so - do I just provide a duvet (with cover obvs) and change the cover every time, or do I provide a top sheet with duvet and cover on top, so that I change the sheet each time and the duvet cover about once a week?
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Top sheet with duvet cover is the way we have been for many years.
What would Plato do ?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Just duvet cover...why make extra work for yourself? If you also did a sheet then the duvet would end up creased anyway and not looking pristine, so you'd end up washing both.
Only Americans expect a top sheet.

If you're starting with new bedding, I know it seems more expensive but have a look at linen or linen/cotton mix. The reason I say is that they don't need ironing as the style is for them to look a little crumpled (because of the texture). It's also extremely hard wearing.

Mousie
x
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Duvet only - less work and as a guest I hate the faff of a top sheet (usually tucked in... argh !) which I remove immediately and throw in a corner. I also makes me wonder whenever I stay in a place with one... does this establishment change the duvet covers between guests? How clean is the bed??
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

A top sheet defeats all the benefits of a Duvet.

If I found one on the bed, it would be off within seconds, and to "punish the owner or whoever put it on", I'd just ball it up and throw in a corner so that it would still require washing.

Apologies if this sounds a bit strong, but we're all allowed our little foibles - aren't we? :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

In heat I'd do away with duvet and keep top sheet. Always disappoints when hotels do not offer one.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

e-richard wrote:A top sheet defeats all the benefits of a Duvet.

If I found one on the bed, it would be off within seconds, and to "punish the owner or whoever put it on", I'd just ball it up and throw in a corner so that it would still require washing.

Apologies if this sounds a bit strong, but we're all allowed our little foibles - aren't we? :wink:
Makes note in case it’s useful at some point: Richard is a self-confessed sheet-abuser... ;-)

But to stick with the thread - why would you provide a top sheet as well as a duvet? More work, more expense, more storage, guests won’t expect one, many will actively object to it. Lose-lose?
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

apexblue wrote:In heat I'd do away with duvet and keep top sheet. Always disappoints when hotels do not offer one.
I take your point, but wouldn't you just remove the cover off the duvet and sleep under that instead?
carolinec

Post by carolinec »

Thanks everybody, and you confirmed my own preference - I dislike sheet plus duvet, and yes, I would be suspicious that the duvet cover wasn't changed much.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

We always did duvet only. But on some occasions we found guests wriggled under the (fitted) bottom sheet. Couldn't understand it, so I guess it's just a case of be prepared for anything in this business!
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

Just a small point if you have American guests. They tend not to have duvets that take a duvet cover but quilts and a top sheet. The quilts cannot be washed with the same degree of frequency as a duvet cover, so they are suspicious of beds without a top sheet, thinking that the duvet/cover isn't washed between guests. A short explanation of the differences should suffice if necessary for some American guests.
aasta

Post by aasta »

Duvets in covers only...
aasta
yer tis

Post by yer tis »

Duvets in covers only :)
Sue