Baked on cooking oil

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
SPJ

Baked on cooking oil

Post by SPJ »

Just spent the last 3 hours cleaning frying pans and baking trays of baked on cooking oil tucked in all the corners - somehow slightly sticky, but still very difficult to get off.

I suspect our recent guests thought they were leaving them "clean". We just have different views as to what "clean" really means!

As part of our welcome pack I provide olive oil but haven't considered leaving cooking oil until now because we never use it.

Has anyone any suggestions please as to what would be a good quality cooking oil that would not create this congealed sticky mess and that would leave the frying pans and baking trays easier to clean?

Alternatively, has anyone suggestions please for ways to get baking trays etc really clean easily? (I tried barbecue cleaning spray and even that struggled!)

Thanks for any suggestions. Sue
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Yuk! My sympathies.

I leave barbeque/oven cleaner and wire wool clearly marked for use on the barbeque/oven and cross my fingers they use them.

Washing powder works well on burnt on food on saucepans (me, not guests!) but I don't know if it would work on grease. Bicarb might cut through the grease?

Good luck!!!
Annew

Post by Annew »

Not sure what you can get in France, but my cleaning team swear by Deepio (available from Makro) and I am a big fan of Barkeepers Friend and Shadazzle, both available on-line all over Europe I gather!

I too am baffled by what guests manage to do to baking trays - I have taken to providing cheaper quality trays in my cottages and I then replace them annually.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thank you both for your suggestions. I've just ordered Bar Keepers friend products from Amazon France. Thanks Anne - here's hoping!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I've been using the indestructible Ikea stainless steel baking trays that are easy to clean with brillo pad type scrubbers. Some guests even leave them spotless!! :shock:
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/coo ... -90099054/
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

I find ordinary washing soda effective on grease and anything stuck on to pans. Not sure if you can get it in France though!
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!