HA commission or subscription?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Gettingthere

HA commission or subscription?

Post by Gettingthere »

Does anyone have any idea if HA push the commission properties more than the subscription ones? I'm thinking or rejoining after dumping OD in disgust, but can't decide which model to go for. I'd pay the subscription amount in about 2 or 3 commission lettings, but if they work harder for commissions, maybe it's worth it?

And does anyone manage to get paid straight away (rather than wait for the guests to move in) when on the subscription model?

GT
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I'm almost certain they push commission listings more than subscription. They have more to gain by selling these properties over ones that have already paid their sub and will pay no more.

A recent thread by Rosebud suggested as much if you do a search - after she paid her subscription renewal her ranking in the search results dropped by a mile. They had her, and didn't need to work to get her bookings anymore.

However I would say it's only worth it for the additional exposure if they don't deliver on subscription - I still get a fair few bookings on subscription and will not change until they drop so much I would be better off on commission. I suspect this is the long term plan - to force everyone to commission as subscription simply doesn't deliver anymore.

I am on subscription and get advance payments, have done for a while. I had to ask for it though and jump through a couple of hoops (proving ownership etc). I'm not sure how easy it is to get for new listings.
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

Thanks. I reckon that’s about right.

Sorry - I meant does anyone manage to get paid straight away while on a COMMISSION listing. They’ve offered it to me as a returning customer if I go subscription, but not on commission.

Cheers
Angus
jafa

Post by jafa »

But if you are on subscription, why would you get paid by HA? I get my guests to pay me. I don't need/want anyone interfering in my business, so there is no issue there surely.
Jafa
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

jafa wrote:But if you are on subscription, why would you get paid by HA? I get my guests to pay me. I don't need/want anyone interfering in my business, so there is no issue there surely.
I would be agreeing to instant booking which involves allowing customers to pay HA via credit card. Not something I’m keen on either, but it’s all about getting the property higher on their rankings. Without it, many owners report receiving barely any enquiries at all.
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

jafa wrote:But if you are on subscription, why would you get paid by HA? I get my guests to pay me. I don't need/want anyone interfering in my business, so there is no issue there surely.
The system has recently changed - no publicity of course.

You now MUST allow on line payment as well as on line bookings before you can renew. Therefore no more accepting payments yourselves going forward

VT
jafa

Post by jafa »

There is no way 100% would I allow any third party to hold my money.
Jafa
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

OK i've signed up for their subscription listing (5% commission plus 3% card charges) and as I previously had instant payments (ie they pay me the money straight away rather than wait until the guest moves in) they will allow me to continue with that.

If that should change in the future, I will probably de-list.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I am listing on both subscription and commission basis with Home Away..

I have had 7 bookings on subscription and 2 on commission in the last 12 months..

My 'market rank' at the moment is a bit better on commission than on subscription (despite no reviews on commission listing and lots of very good ones on subscription).. but that somewhat better ranking position doesn't result in more bookings.

As Jenster said my subscription 'market rank' suddenly plummeted just after I renewed for a year!!

I do get paid on commission shortly after the guest makes a payment.

I suspect i will not be renewing my subscription with Home Away next year
Last edited by rosebud on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

Thanks rosebud.
As I expected re rankings. Good to hear you get paid fairly promptly too.
nichthewood

Post by nichthewood »

My experience with commission only it is very inflexible. The owner has no control and if it’s anything like what happened to me, you don’t even get paid....... So difficult to get hold of them to sort out a problem and when you do, no one knows what to do.
God knows what we and our guests get for there hefty commission. There far to big and soulless.