Feedback on responsive website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
russellt

Feedback on responsive website

Post by russellt »

Hello LMHers,
It has been a while. Life got in the way. I hope all's well with you.

I finally got around to fixing the embarrassment that was our cottage website. Yes, I discovered some original macromedia scripting in there.
Please have a look at www.esmescottage.co.uk and comment.

Feedback on content, responsiveness and design are welcome.

thx.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

It is responsive so that is great.

However, it appears to be one very long page rather than separate pages which is not very good for slow internet connections. The other advantage of having separate pages is that you can have a summary on the home page of the important information; followed by menu links for more details. For example, it is difficult to see at a glance how many people it sleeps as this is under a heading "sophisticated living".

The Location text is very difficult to read and seems to be stuck in the middle of the description of the cottage, part of which is under an images heading.
russellt

Post by russellt »

Thanks for the feedback. It's amazing how you become so close to the content, you don't see the obvious 'user experience'.

Max Occupancy fixed.

Single page format: Seems to be the way forward (for now) as it means users on handheld devices don't have to use the little 'hamburger' icon to click/navigate. They just scroll up/down. I have also purposely tried to vastly reduce the amount of content compared to the previous site.

Location font: I'll have a look. It has a stroke on the edge of each character. Maybe not good on some devices. (what size of device did you view on?)

Slow load: I tested on the slowest connection I could find. It was OK. I'll look again.

Thanks again for taking the time.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

russellt wrote:Thanks for the feedback. It's amazing how you become so close to the content, you don't see the obvious 'user experience'.

Max Occupancy fixed.

Single page format: Seems to be the way forward (for now) as it means users on handheld devices don't have to use the little 'hamburger' icon to click/navigate. They just scroll up/down. I have also purposely tried to vastly reduce the amount of content compared to the previous site.

Location font: I'll have a look. It has a stroke on the edge of each character. Maybe not good on some devices. (what size of device did you view on?)

Slow load: I tested on the slowest connection I could find. It was OK. I'll look again.

Thanks again for taking the time.
From Google page speed insights:-
Statistics show that the median page on the internet requires 4 render-blocking round trips and ~75 resources (1MB) to load. But this page appears to use more resources. PSI estimates this page requires 6 render-blocking round trips and 160 resources (7.5MB) to load. Fewer round trips and bytes results in faster pages.
Having a slow page load is going to mark your website down for google search so your website won't get the same exposure.

I'm looking at the design on an iPhone and it's not very satisfactory. I have to scroll through dozens of photos before I get to the pricing and then scroll through pages of availability dates before getting to the contact page. The menu button doesn't seem to do anything and the top of the main photo is cut off.

None of the links at the bottom of your page work.
russellt

Post by russellt »

Again, thanks for the feedback.

I forgot to link the footer. :oops: Done.

I'll look at the load speed. There are a few images I could probably slim down.

This work-in-progress continues. Thanks again.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Can I suggest to you (and anyone else) that you include in your opening information whether or not you do or do not take dogs / pets?

Agents are generally good at providing appropriate filters but we all want guests to book with us direct. It becomes soul destroying trawling through websites to find this information before you can look to see if the property meets your needs.

Your photos look lovely on the site.
russellt

Post by russellt »

Thanks for the feedback.

Pets: always a sensitive subject. Welcome, Welcome(on approval), Welcome but chargeable, Not welcome.

Hmmm! I have dodged that question, but take your point.

thanks.