When does your booking agency send you the payment?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Jeebers

When does your booking agency send you the payment?

Post by Jeebers »

For the last few years I've been with a very good local agency, fully booked every year, they're very quick to respond and helpful with any problems. When a booking is made they send the deposit in the next payment run and send the balance when the guest pays it 6 weeks before the arrival date. The payment runs are at the end of each month.

But of course all good things come to an end and they have now been taken over by a bigger agency who doesn't send through the deposit. The guests then pay them the balance 9 weeks before the arrival date and they send through the full payment to me 3 weeks before the arrival date.

Seems a bit cheeky to me or is this how it is out in the big wide world?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

It’s 2010 since we were with an agent.
At the time they said they didn’t forward the deposit, but used it as their “working capital”.
The total payment would come to me as one payment, minus the agent fees (they managed changeovers as well for us) the month before the guests arrived in one regular monthly statement.

They were good at forwarding a booking notice at the time the booking was made, stating what payment would come to me, but of course that did not include the additional fees, it was only what payment was left after their booking fee and commission were deducted.
VAT would show up on the monthly statement alongside changeover fees and any additional cleaner expenses (we were charged per towel washed!).

At the time I think guests had to pay the balance 8weeks before their stay.
whirlybird

Post by whirlybird »

At the moment ours are about 6 weeks before arrival, we don't see a deposit.
The payment sent after after all deductions.
But, we have changed agent.....possiblky for the worse, time will tell.
https://www.moorparks.co.uk/farm-stay-self-catering/
https://www.facebook.com/moorparks/
Moorparks Holiday Cottages Moorparks, EX19 8NA 07850 356627

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in the correct order as they should be!
Pixiepower

Post by Pixiepower »

When we were with an agency they paid us for a stay the month after it had taken place. We did get a small amount before that- the deposit (33% of the rental cost) less the agency’s fees (20% plus VAT).
Combined with their very expensive fees for cleaning etc we are much better off without them.
CarolineJ

Post by CarolineJ »

£25 booking deposit arrives at the end of the month the booking is made. The balance comes at the end of the month prior to the month the stay is, so on 30th September I'll get the balances for all my October bookings and £25 for any new bookings made in September.
Faint heart never won fair holiday let...
sparkJS

Post by sparkJS »

Mine pays the beginning of the month after the guests departed.
MG