Google Maps & API keys

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Sammy

Google Maps & API keys

Post by Sammy »

Hi

Has anyone any idea what this is all about?! My web guy has said I need to register an API key to continue embedding a Google Map on my website.

He gave me these links:

https://developers.google.com/maps/docu ... et-api-key

http://geoawesomeness.com/developers-up ... rice-hike/

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
Sam
AppletreeGlamping

Post by AppletreeGlamping »

I did this a few weeks ago. You can no longer use google maps without having a real API key, in the past you could use a dummy key.

So you need to register your site and create an API key as your developer suggests, during the process it will ask for your credit card and then charge 1p against it to confirm its working and will then refund the 1p later.

Finally you should then lock down the key so that others can not use it, typically you lock it to your domain name.

Which part of the process are you stuck on?
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

Thanks for your reply cparker...

a) When I register, do I choose all three options (maps, routes and places)?
b) I have to name a project - is that any old name?
c) I register my card and it says I have a free trial. I am finding it difficult to see how much the maps will cost after this date. Am I right in thinking that only views over a certain amount will be charged?

Thanks again - much appreciated.
AppletreeGlamping

Post by AppletreeGlamping »

a) Without knowing anything about your website I would say just maps, guessing that you just have a map showing where your property is located. You can always add the other options later if you need them.

b) Yep any name, it doesn't matter

c) Its a lot, free up to 25,000 map loads per day :)

Best Regards
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

That's perfect - thank you for your help!

I'll get registered later today...

Sam