Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Agency fees: how low will they go?

Managing your property
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beerwulf55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Agency fees: how low will they go? Reply with quote

Hi folks, we've had three months as newbies with cottages.com, have had plenty of bookings but the usual gripe of how much they cream off what with their £39 booking fee then the 19% plus VAT on whats left. So of course what we end up with looks a lot smaller than we had hoped as they make great play of the 19% but we have to stump up the VAT and the booking fee off the advertised headline figure so its more like 30% they're getting.
I was wondering if any experienced letters have managed to drive down the rates, perhaps to 15% or less? If so can you offer some advice as to the best way to go about it...or is it a non-starter?
Thanks! Rob
zebedee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like your own version of a personal mini Brexit! Laughing Laughing

You have signed a contract with no review or renewal date, and you have found you are paying more on your part than you feel you are getting for your money’s worth??

The secret to any negotiation is to go to the table with something the other party can gain from, so that you can get what you want as well.

So the key question is “What can Cottages.com (possibly) gain from lowering your commission rate?”
Giraffe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is your contract for? The main bargaining point you have is to take your business elsewhere.
Jemima Copping

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to get the price you want is to have your own website and manage the bookings yourself. Look to advertise on local tourism sites. We advertise our website on IsleofSkye.com and WalkHighlands but now we find that most of our bookings come directly through our own website. We also advertise on ABB which although I do not like them, charge a percentage rather than a flat booking fee, and we have had a few bookings through them especially for short breaks. I put my prices up for them, to try to get what I want and it seems to work. I add on £80 cleaning fee for ABB and no-one has complained.
We made our site through PromotemyPlace and the payment fir bookings come mostly through Freetobook. Freetobook tells you where the bookings originate, that’s how I know people are looking directly at the website and booking on it.
Managing your property