Welcome book and information

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
SaltyT

Welcome book and information

Post by SaltyT »

Hi all

I started to do welcome/information folder and am a bit lost as what to put in it. I know that sounds silly.

Could you help please?
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Best if you use the search facility on the forum as this has already been discussed many times and you will see lots of suggestions

E.g viewtopic.php?t=27247&highlight=welcome+information
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

Hi Salty,

Yes it's difficult when starting with a blank screen but divide it into topics. It's a good idea to sit in each room and look around - what would someone need to know? We recently stayed in a place in France and there were no instructions on how to turn the heating on (there was a cold snap), I got really annoyed and could easily have broken the strange wall heaters trying to see how they work. They may be common to French people but I live in Spain and never seen the like.

Firstly are the really important things (starting with WiFi code!). Some people include photos which I think is a great idea if you can manage that. Emergency telephone number, how to get it/out, fuse box, stop cock for water, heating, hot water. The divide into areas - start with the kitchen - cooker and other appliances (we have detailed instructions on how to load the Nespresso machine for example). Where's the iron/ironing board, pegs for washing line. Bedrooms, spare towels and blankets/duvets if you have them.

Next. Entertainment, TV and so on, board games, DVD's if you have them.

Garden, if you have it - bbq etc.

We have clear bold headings with short easy paragraphs so people can locate the bits they want. I think kitchens and heating are the most complex as everything is different. For example, we have induction hobs and I had never come across them before we put them in the apartments. I don't want to wade through the official manuals to find out how they work. Similarly, is there a programme for the washing machine that people are likely to use the most? If so tell them: "There is a short 30 minute cycle which is useful marked 30' ".

Next, essentials. Nearest shops with opening hours, nearest nice baker, butcher, chemist, paper shop, petrol station.

Then things to do and here you can be as creative as you want and this is where you can show that you care about their stay. Many people won't have done too much research on the area so it's good to put in places to go, houses to visit (opening hours!), best beaches. They can sit and relax and plan the next day.

Finally, where to eat and drink with an idea of what they are like - 'good honest pub with decent beer and food' or´somewhere for a more special meal' and so on. You get the idea.

And finally, finally, what to do when you leave - make this very prominent especially regarding rubbish and keys, heating off and so on.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

SusanMay wrote:Best if you use the search facility on the forum as this has already been discussed many times and you will see lots of suggestions

E.g viewtopic.php?t=27247&highlight=welcome+information
Not exactly a welcome book or information, but I once took a sound tip from a post on here (I don't remember the author - but thank you.) and had postcards made, by Vistaprint, of a photogenic scene relating to our property. The first 50 were so popular that I had to start rationing, and now put just a few in the holder at a time. They are free of charge of course.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Sanchisimo wrote:Hi Salty,

Yes it's difficult when starting with a blank screen but divide it into topics. It's a good idea to sit in each room and look around - what would someone need to know? We recently stayed in a place in France and there were no instructions on how to turn the heating on (there was a cold snap), I got really annoyed and could easily have broken the strange wall heaters trying to see how they work. They may be common to French people but I live in Spain and never seen the like.

Firstly are the really important things (starting with WiFi code!). Some people include photos which I think is a great idea if you can manage that. Emergency telephone number, how to get it/out, fuse box, stop cock for water, heating, hot water. The divide into areas - start with the kitchen - cooker and other appliances (we have detailed instructions on how to load the Nespresso machine for example). Where's the iron/ironing board, pegs for washing line. Bedrooms, spare towels and blankets/duvets if you have them.

Next. Entertainment, TV and so on, board games, DVD's if you have them.

Garden, if you have it - bbq etc.

We have clear bold headings with short easy paragraphs so people can locate the bits they want. I think kitchens and heating are the most complex as everything is different. For example, we have induction hobs and I had never come across them before we put them in the apartments. I don't want to wade through the official manuals to find out how they work. Similarly, is there a programme for the washing machine that people are likely to use the most? If so tell them: "There is a short 30 minute cycle which is useful marked 30' ".

Next, essentials. Nearest shops with opening hours, nearest nice baker, butcher, chemist, paper shop, petrol station.

Then things to do and here you can be as creative as you want and this is where you can show that you care about their stay. Many people won't have done too much research on the area so it's good to put in places to go, houses to visit (opening hours!), best beaches. They can sit and relax and plan the next day.

Finally, where to eat and drink with an idea of what they are like - 'good honest pub with decent beer and food' or´somewhere for a more special meal' and so on. You get the idea.

And finally, finally, what to do when you leave - make this very prominent especially regarding rubbish and keys, heating off and so on.
A first class summary. And finally, remember the most important thing of all - they won't bloody read it.

Mols :roll:
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
SaltyT

Post by SaltyT »

Thank you for your help. I did search the forums - but other things popped up.
Your help has been great. I will plug away