Ferries from Barcelona to Mallorca

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Dusty

Ferries from Barcelona to Mallorca

Post by Dusty »

I know it's not a problem/question relating to holiday rental owners per se but I wonder if anyone can tell me what is happening to the ferries from Barcelona to Mallorca?

I have booked a holiday on Mallorca next June and am looking to sail from Barcelona to Mallorca (and back :) ) but at the moment the ferry timetable only goes out to the end of Feb. All the other sailing to Mallorca (from Denia or Valencia for example) run out to June at least. I have asked a couple of time to the ferry when I will be able to book for June and all they say is that the timetables are being revised over winter and I should keep checking the website? Is there a problem with the crossing from Barcelona to Mallorca or is this normal?

Thanks for any info anyone can give.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It's normal Dusty. It's one of the frustrations of balearic island living. Sometimes they only show the dates a few weeks before. Oh the tales I could tell you about trying to get off this island via ferries :roll:

We once had to cancel a cottage booked in Mallorca in December as they were taking ages to release the dates. It got to the end of November before they did....seriously.

As they say.....just keep checking.

Mousie
x
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Hi Mouse, thank you for your insight, it's a strange way to run a business and it's not as if they haven't run a ferry service before.
How do freight business etc. manage I wonder.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Gawd knows Dusty. I know many people who drive to the uk and back and they have a nightmare trying to book ferries. Add to that the fact they are usually way overpriced as there's a monopoly happening. It's common to see 2 boats leave at exactly the same time and follow each other to the destination. ...honestly! That was happening 2o yrs ago and still happens now.

We have an awful lot of public servants/teachers etc that work on this island from Valencia. This is because you have to have Catalan to get such a job (and don't get me started on that!). Many years ago they changed the Friday ferry time to mid afternoon. This meant all the people travelling back to Valencia, of which there were many, missed the boat. They banded together and asked that the time be put back by an hour. ....the ferry company refused. Not only that there was also another company doing exactly the same journey .....so 2 boats were setting off at the same time!?!
Rather than one of them change the departure by an hour, they missed out on all that business. And both continued to set off together.

Par for the course in this part of the world. :oops:

Mousie
x
CSE

Post by CSE »

Same issue with the train timetable.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.