How much electricity do I need to contract for air-con?

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Gazpacho

How much electricity do I need to contract for air-con?

Post by Gazpacho »

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!

We're putting in air-con in the bedrooms this year and I know we're going to need to increase the potencia we've contracted. At the moment we have 4.9 Kw. The calculator on the Endesa site is telling me we need a minimum of 6.9 Kw. I want to make sure that we have enough, but I also don't want to pay more than is necessary! Apparently, as we have a smart meter they can increase the potencia remotely. We have a three-phase power supply.

We're putting in 5 a/c units. In addition, we have electric pool heating, washer, dryer, dishwasher, TVs, 2 fridges, ceramic hob, electric oven. Central heating is oil-fired however!

Can anyone please comment on whether 6.9 Kw sounds about right, or should I be going for more than that?
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

My initial reaction is to be surprised that you can get away with a potencia of 4.9kW with your existing appliances! Are you sure that whatever device limits your supply is actually working (and is correctly set) as it should be?

We don't have electric pool heating, dishwasher, dryer or ceramic hob but do have 4 x aircon and electric water heating (4.5kW) and have recently reduced to 10.35kVA (3 phase), an ongoing process of reducing from the 20.7kVA we inherited.
Gazpacho

Post by Gazpacho »

Our existing supply is just about ok, with the occasional trip if everything is used at once! But it certainly needs to be increased. I'm just wondering what would be most appropriate for our requirements once the a/c is fitted. Each KW will cost a bit more each month, so I don't want to contract more than I need either!
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Our standing charge for 10.35kVA is around €240 inc IVA per annum, which my brief research suggests might be close to what you pay for a potencia of approximately half that. If so, I can understand why you want to keep it as low as you can!

In my experience, if used sensibly, aircon uses surprisingly little electricity. Perhaps having the entire supply trip out when misused might encourage sensible use?

Our Daikin aircon has an installer setting that permits restriction of maximum power consumption for situations such as you're facing - maybe your installer could advise?
Gazpacho

Post by Gazpacho »

Thank you! Yes, I think I'll ask the installer for some advice on this.
Vera

Post by Vera »

Our supply is Potencia contratada : 6.582Kw Discriminación horaria: Con discriminación Tarifa : 2.0DHA with 3 phase. With Endesa.

We have our house, 2 rental properties and a pool running off this with no problems for 15 years.

All units have air con, 8 units in total, and the usual appliances.
Obviously I don't know if all units are running everything possible at the same time but it works. I was advised I could even reduce the potencia but if it's working why change to save a few euros?

Hope this helps.
Gazpacho

Post by Gazpacho »

Vera thank you, that's interesting!