Tourist tax

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Happy Days

Tourist tax

Post by Happy Days »

We have a small B & B in the dordogne.
Received this email today.

As of 1 January, 2019 new tourist tax legislation is applicable in France. These new rules require Booking.com to collect and pay tourist tax on behalf of its non-professional partners in several municipalities in France. This will only be the case for reservations where the payment is being facilitated by Booking.com.

Is this correct? :oops:

Happy Christmas to everyone and thank you for all your advice.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Yes, that's correct if you're not classified. If you're 'pro' the changes won't affect you but I think it's the government trying to clamp down on unregistered holiday lets that use platforms like bc and abb but aren't paying their taxes. Here's a link to an article about the changes: http://airconciergerie.com/2019-et-la-t ... a-changer/
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

ABB have already been doing this since last July. It does save the dilemma of having to decide whether or not to cover the tourist tax in your rental price as it is collected by BC or ABB.

Also ABB have just told me that from 2020 they will be informing the French tax authorities the amount paid by guests booking through their platform during 2019.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Hello Happy Days, you may find this thread useful ...
viewtopic.php?t=28664
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

We pay our tax sejour to the commune on the forfeit system (fixed price for July August). Our commune in Dordogne said we have to tell B.com that they are NOT to collect the tax because of this. Had big saga this Summer with Airbnb taking wrong tax which they never resolved. Commune have also said they should not collect tax either. We are a 2 bed B&B. If you are on the forfeit system I would contact your commune to see if this tax should be collected on your behalf. Seems I am going to be piggy in the middle again!!
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

Frenchlady wrote:We pay our tax sejour to the commune on the forfeit system (fixed price for July August). Our commune in Dordogne said we have to tell B.com that they are NOT to collect the tax because of this. Had big saga this Summer with Airbnb taking wrong tax which they never resolved. Commune have also said they should not collect tax either. We are a 2 bed B&B. If you are on the forfeit system I would contact your commune to see if this tax should be collected on your behalf. Seems I am going to be piggy in the middle again!!
Think I remember reading somewhere that the French Goverment requires the advertising sites to collect the TdeS for them. There was a lot of discussion from someone in the Alps when it first came in if we remember correctly.

More up to date LMHers may have more info

VT
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Certainly our tourist office is making it very clear to gite owners in our area (Lot-et-Garonne) that anyone on ABB (and now HA) should expect to have their TdS taken off guests "at source".
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

I have advised B.com that our commune says they are not to collect the tax for our area because of the forfeit system and sent them a copy of a pdf file the commune told me to send. B.com have contacted me and all I have had to do is fill in their form to say I am a. professional (which I am not) but this stops the system collecting the tax. Must be done by 1 Jan. Of course I have had no response from Airbnb so will still not reinstate our advert with them. Cannot fault B.com up to now. Hopefully now no more hassle for 2019.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I'm in the middle of a disagreement with Homeaway over this. They are adding on taxes far in excess of that which is due, and claiming they are amounts that the commune have told them to collect. My apartment manager has told me that other owners have been told not to allow them to collect it, but to continue to pay online themselves as before. I've even sent them the table of the amounts due per person.
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

Good luck Hell's Bells. I have been fighting Airbnb since July 2018 when they first started taking the wrong tax. Yesterday they are still saying they cannot stop collecting the tax without being told by the commune. Have sent them emails and a pdf which comes from the commune. Have now given our commune Airbnbs email address and asked them to sort it directly. That will not happen. Have removed us from Airbnb as not worth the stress.
limousin-cottage

Post by limousin-cottage »

Ecosse wrote:Yes, that's correct if you're not classified. If you're 'pro' the changes won't affect you but I think it's the government trying to clamp down on unregistered holiday lets that use platforms like bc and abb but aren't paying their taxes. Here's a link to an article about the changes: http://airconciergerie.com/2019-et-la-t ... a-changer/
Correct, but there are some regions, like ours in the Limousin, who have never in the past been required to collect taxe de sejour, so that will apply to classified as well as non-classified accommodation, with the classified being able to charge less.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Just also noticed that Airbnb are overcharging on tax. They are charging for children under 18 who should be exempt. I have contacted them and told they were applying the local laws! This is not correct and I am awaiting a response.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Just as I speak I got this reply (below). Seems like a major multinational company cannot differentiate under 18's even though that is the first question asked when booking!!!!!! It's frustrating and unfair. Constantly pushing prices up and making bookings harder to get.

Reply from Airbnb
Thank you for reaching out.

Please know that the system of Airbnb is not able to take into account the exemptions. Therefore, unfortunately, minors are counted in the calculation of tourist tax even though they are subject to exemption.

By default, the city tax applies per night per person regardless of the category, which is why we invite travelers affected by an exemption to join the municipality in this situation.

Indeed, the tax being collected provisionally, it is possible for these travelers to seek the relief from the common beneficiary of the tax, subject to appropriate supporting production and compliance with the conditions set by the regulations in force . The rebate application must be submitted within four years from the first day of the year following that during which the tourist tax and the additional tax.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Glad to see Abnb ran their reply past the plain English team for comments/approval before sending it on to you :( :D :D
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Patrick wrote:
Reply from Airbnb
Thank you for reaching out.
"reaching out"... a phrase I particularly detest...

It conjures up an image of swinging a right hook at a slimy corporate type whose backing away from their responsibilities...

... kind of apt, in this case.