Brexit, Vote to Revoke Article 50

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

Ecosse wrote:
Drax wrote:
Ecosse wrote: Not wishing to start a slanging match, but I'm genuinely interested in everyone's perspective on this... what's the basis for this opinion, Drax? Why are they appalling?
Just my opinion based upon what I have read and heard from the news outlets, newspapers, TV, Radio etc.
i.e. The intransigence of the EU during the Brexit negotiations and also with David Cameron when he tried to negotiate better terms prior to the referendum.
Donald Tusks' snide remarks referring to Teresa Mays' diabetes illness. His comments referring to a "A special place in Hell for Brexiters.
I am no fan of the EU either.
Sadly this is the problem with the UK press: for more than 40 years they have been working with successive governments to cover up politicians' errors and unpopular (solely British) legislation by pretending it was the EU who either made them do it, or wouldn't allow them to do it. The result? A population who, through no fault of their own, genuinely believe the EU have done nothing for them.

Furthermore, if the press can omit words and twist the remaining ones to make a phrase sound more controversial (read: sell more copies), they will. What Tusk actually said was, 'British leaders who sold Brexit with no plan for how to deliver it deserve a "special place in hell", which, of course, is unarguably spot-on... and very different to the UK press's various twisted versions implying he wants to see 52% of the country to burn in hell.

In my opinion, the UK press should be held as accountable for this utter fiasco as the self-serving and completely incompetent excuses for human beings strutting around Westminster.
Tusk’s speech was broadcast in its entirety in the UK and I am pretty sure we understood what he was saying. He was quite right, however it wasn’t a dig at the UK voters, it was a dig at our useless politicians.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Moliere wrote:Tusk's remark about a "special place in hell" was born out of frustration that after two years of negotiations the Brexiteers continued to reject the resulting agreement. My personal opinion is that he's dead right and I would very much like the ERG group to suffer such a fate.

And just for the record I think the EU is bloody great.
As I’ve watched this Brexit nightmare unfold, one incident has stuck in my mind – a film clip of Michel Barnier and his team in Brussels sitting down with David Davies and the British negotiators. Barnier’s team had fat folders of information, the UK team had nothing – not a pen or a notebook or - god forbid - any relevant information. And, worst of all, that asinine and patronising smirk was never far from Davies’s lips. At that moment, I knew the UK government had no intention of honest and meaningful negotiations for British withdrawal – just childish ‘cake and eat it’ nonsense that they expected to bludgeon the EU into acceptance. Given that May and Corbyn have been gagging for Brexit since Day One, the UK media have been up to their usual disgusting lies and misrepresentations and all sorts of dirty tricks have been employed by the UK politicians, it’s astonishing that Brexit hasn’t actually happened. Whisper it softly but, perhaps, it’s a lousy idea?

Usual thoughtful and perceptive post from Mols - and silver stars for Ecosse and Norfolk Canary for calling out the UK’s appallingly corrupt and mendacious press.
Jim