Pool contamination

For anything to do with the garden and pool
joddle

Pool contamination

Post by joddle »

For many years we have had a repeating issue regarding our visitors using the pool whilst covered in sun tan oil. We have provided a poolside shower and have notices all around the villa and in the info pack asking people not to use the pool when covered in sun oil. We also explain that if they do the water will go cloudy and green and we may then have to have extra visits from the pool man for which we will deduct the cost from the deposit - yet our pool man last year reported that several visitors left the pool so bad that on one occasion it took him over a week to clear it. Luckily we had a gap in rentals for that.

Earlier this year the pool became very dirty following a very heavy rainstorm which deposited fine Sahara mud everywhere. Normally we can clear this in a week or so but this time after three weeks of pretty intensive treatment the water has not cleared. Our poolman and another pool company both think the sand filter may have become so clogged from sun-oil contamination from our guests that it is not able to filter properly and so it looks like we will need to first now clear the pool then replace the sand which is only a few years old - the last lot lasted over 10 years!

Up until now, despite our threats, we have never actually charged guests for additional pool maintenance but think maybe we need to think more about this. So how do others cope with oily guests?
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Can't help with the oily guests but our pool guys tell us to let the mud/dust settle and then they vacuum it directly to waste. A sand filter apparently can't always filter very fine dust and it just reappears again as it washes through.

I've only changed the sand in our filter once in 15 years but it only cost €50 or so as a DIY job.
LotBoy47

Post by LotBoy47 »

RichardHenshall wrote:Can't help with the oily guests but our pool guys tell us to let the mud/dust settle and then they vacuum it directly to waste. A sand filter apparently can't always filter very fine dust and it just reappears again as it washes through.

I've only changed the sand in our filter once in 15 years but it only cost €50 or so as a DIY job.
Agreed. You can’t filter fine sand with the more corse sand in your filter. Vacuum to waste and accept the loss of water is your only option unless you can find someone with one of those US style external vacuum systems which I believe have a fine mesh filtration system.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Thanks for the above -this morning at last the pool has started to clear - loads of flock have produced a lot of dirt and this ha now been hoovered up but it looks like the sand in the filter may need changing due to sun-oil contamination. How do other owners stop people ruining the water? - its not nice when a pool is not clear for the next guests.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

I have never found a solution to "oily guests" after over 20 years of renting but regular backwashing of the sand filter helps and don't let anyone use P20 suntan product.
As regards a sand filter not removing Sahara fine sand, this would only really be true if the sand in the filter had been "channeled" due to infrequent backwashing or as you say lots of oil/suntan lotion contamination causing the sand to "glue" itself into larger pieces.
Have you considered a good glass filter medium (Drydens) ?
What would Plato do ?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I think it's going to be impossible to stop guests abusing the suntan request.. we ask them to shower beforehand but they never do....and if you cater for families, as we do, then the kids are usually lathered in it. And usually its P20 which also causes problems with white bedding!

We occasionally have to get our pool guy out twice a week when the temps are very hot as this is when the problem seems to occur. Being on site we can keep an eye on it and use quick fixes (like fairy liquid to remove the greasy film we often get) ....are you off site?

You could carry through your threat and deduct monies for the worst cases but we stuck it up and take it as part of the issues of renting (like staina on bedding).

Mouse
x
p.s. our Sahara sand also get left to settle and then we Hoover.
SW31

Post by SW31 »

It’s a nightmare. They have to walk past the shower, I even put out a good quality shower wash stuff for people to use. I tell them that showering first will reduce the amount of pool chemicals which is good for them and the environment. They all nod and agree, use the shower once or twice then forget or can’t be bothered.

We find putting the ‘lilly’ things in the skimmers helps. You can see the cream on them after a couple of days. We also use a Bayrol chlorine product in the skimmers in high season that helps with filtration - I think it’s the one that does 7 thing. It’s expensive but does seem to help with those clients that spend every day next to the pool.

I thinks there’s a new bayrol product out to help with the sand filter.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Thanks for all those comment folks - I am glad I am not the only one with greasy guests - but it is a pain. I think I will add a warning not to use P20 sun block. If my pool man had his way he would instantly ban those responsible for the contamination for the rest of their holiday - but I can't see that going down too well :)
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I replaced the sand with glass last year and its much more efficient. Biggest win is the use of a strong algicide. I can reduce my pump hours by a few a day easily.

Post dirty rain I was clear in 3 days. Don't flock if u can help it, let it settle and vac to waste.

're damage deductions ha now hold the deposit. I doubt you could persuade them that guests were negligent using lotion and not showering. How are you going to prove it? They would say it's normal use.

Incidentally, I swim most days in a public pool and some swimmers hygiene is quite appalling. I have told the lifeguards but they daren't say anything for fear of losing their jobs. So it's not just villa renters.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Had not heard about glass for filters - will have to look into that - Thanks
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

joddle wrote:Had not heard about glass for filters - will have to look into that - Thanks
Be careful about the quality of the glass used, there are many poor quality products about; some that can be dangerous - glass slivers in the pool !
Bayrol do a quality product from Dryden (made in Scotland). I do not have any link to either !
What would Plato do ?
joddle

Post by joddle »

I had wondered about the safety of using glass - there is quite a lot on the web about poor quality products but also some very positive reactions to some products too - it will take some research before I decide if that's the way I want to go.