Non Payment of

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
SteveG

Non Payment of

Post by SteveG »

Advice please. A family of 4 booked our holiday let in Aug 18 for the whole of Aug 19. We met the family and they were very nice. We told them a price, they accepted it, but wanted to pay in installments. This was fine with us and we prepared a document with dates of installments due. The first two installments were paid (after reminding them), but the third one which was due 15 days ago, hasn't been paid. I have tried and tried to contact them, left voice message and sent a letter. I have heard nothing!! We asked them to let us know if there was a problem as we know things go a bit pear shaped for people now and again, and we could work things out.

What would do?

Keep trying to contact them? Write/voice mail again and say that if we don't hear from them within so many days, we shall have to cancell the last two weeks of August and advertise it as available? As they have paid the first 2 weeks they can obviously stay then.

Never had this before. Any advice would be very welcome.
louiseddie

Post by louiseddie »

Hi Steve, I'd do as you suggest, ie give them a longstop date for payment and say if it's not received by that date you'll have no choice but to open the last two weeks of August to other bookings. They can't expect otherwise. They've broken the terms of the agreement they made with you and it sounds like you've been more than patient. You can put it nicely.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Send the above via special delivery postage so that you have confirmation that it has been delivered and a signature confirming receipt.
That way you have evidence if they try to challenge you in the future.
You will want to advertise ASAP to minimise your losses.

I would though, state in your letter that they have 7 days (you could make this 14 if you feel generous) from the date of the letter to make the payment. Go on to say if the payment is not cleared in your account by this time you will be taking the following steps (treat the agreement as broken and readvertise two weeks etc)
Be very factual in the letter about what was agreed and what actions they have not taken that was part of your contract.

Edited x 1
Last edited by zebedee on Tue May 14, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SW31

Post by SW31 »

I would give them 14 days, agree should be recorded deliver, for payment to be made in full. Depending on your terms I would state non payment means they forfeited their rights to any money being refunded. If your terms mean money should be refunded I would deduct costs, such as recorded delivery etc from the amount.

You are a business and now have a short time to recoup the lost revenue. You acted in good faith so you shouldn’t be penalised!
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Agree with what is said above. Recorded Delivery (maybe it's called "Signed For" nowadays) is a must and, as I know you would do anyway, keep a copy of your correspondence, just in case.

From what you say, there is undoubtedly a well formed contract here, which has been broken. If you were to allow the guests the two specified weeks they could claim they have paid for, whether they show up or not, then you could not possibly be expected to do more. Some people would take a sterner view and with impunity.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

All the above but try googling them, they may have had an accident. Most people have busy lives and paying for a holiday is pretty low down some people's agenda. I have had late payers but it's radio silence that bothers me. A registered letter with 7 days deadline would be my plan.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Thank you for your replies.

Very helpful and also confirms my thoughts too. It's always really helpful to have good advice, and I shall follow through now with a letter as you have all suggested, with the terms etc all made very clear. By registered post and copies made.

Will be back and let you know what happens but I sincerely hope that for the family, nothing traumatic has happened to them.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

my thoughts are a tad firmer. They contractually booked the month i'm assuming and they have only paid a part of that whole booking. I wouldn't think of the monies reveived so far as payment for just two weeks myself. They booked the whole month and the monies recieved so far are only a contribution for that months booking.

As above write formally by recorded delivery. Give them a number of sensible days to pay the remainder. If they fail the bookings cancelled and keep what you've been sent so far.

I would consider refunding them monies minus costs and fees i'd incurred if those weeks were to become booked up by somebody else in the meantime.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

akwe-xavante wrote:my thoughts are a tad firmer. They contractually booked the month i'm assuming and they have only paid a part of that whole booking. I wouldn't think of the monies reveived so far as payment for just two weeks myself. They booked the whole month and the monies recieved so far are only a contribution for that months booking.
Yep I'm with you there too!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."