B.com another charge

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Frenchlady

B.com another charge

Post by Frenchlady »

Just been informed by B.com they will be charging an additional 1.1% for handling payments from guests which is unbelievable on top of the 15% they already charge us. I would like to know if this is legal as I understood companies were stopped charging fees for using credit/ debit cards?
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

They will be charging for taking the payments and handling the money - not for the use of a card.

The charge is also to you not the guests. I'm sure it is perfectly legal.

I am however very glad that I have that site set up so I take payments myself so I won't be incurring that extra charge.
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

I agree it is a bit much on top of their normal commission but to me it is still worth it to be sure of receiving payment. Last year I had some last minute cancellations and no shows and wasn't able in all cases to obtain payment. So I changed to BC handling the payments. I had a no show last week and therefore will receive the payment via BC so to me the 1.1%, although not welcome, is worth the lack of hassle chasing payment.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

Agree that it is better for them taking the payment which is why I chose that method. Too many chances of cancellations or no shows otherwise. My gripe is that it is another cost on top of their already high commission and just increases the room rates. B.com have phoned us this evening and we have voiced our rage. Will still have to accept it but not happily.
CSE

Post by CSE »

The charges amount to more than 15% as they charge commission over your prices including taxes. Work it out.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Reiver

Post by Reiver »

Might be just a tad happier if they offered the option to accept, and then refund, damage deposits.
The trouble with companies like this is that you just know they're ripping you off for every single cent that they can get away with ... it leaves a bad taste in the mouth...;-(
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Curious that you all mention 1.1% as their email to me stated 1.3%. I wonder why...?
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Villa Verde Makri Greece

Post by Villa Verde Makri Greece »

Ours is 1.4%! There are other ways to avoid no-shows. We ask for a deposit to confirm a reservation. If there is no response, Booking.com will cancel the reservation after appropriate exchanges of messages with the traveller. We also have a page on our own web site for secure card payments so we don't need their Online Payments. HOWEVER, please see our new post that we might not have a choice!