Early / late departures

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
susanmary

Early / late departures

Post by susanmary »

Quick recap, this year has 2 weeks booked for family they had a late check out as no other guests coming in, even then the family was slow on checking out and the children still playing when caretaker came to collect keys. I charged 25 euros which was what my caretaker charged me to collect the keys. This family booked the villa at a reduced rate and messed around with payments always having some excuse regarding late payment, rang me a couple of times to verify I was a person, rang the holiday platform co, to check I was legal, then paid balance late.

Fast forward and they want to book again and asked for early discount so I said I would give them the same rate as previous, she told me she would book the villa as soon as easyJet flights were out. About 2/3 weeks later she confirmed they had their flights but in her haste had booked an extra day making 15 days instead of 14 and asked if it was still available at the same price I confirmed she could have it at the same price for early booking and sent her booking form and she never sent it back. I emailed her and asked if she had received the booking form and she confirmed she had but there was things going on at home and it had delayed her sending it in. I gave her to the 12th October to send thebooking form in to me, however she didn’t send it to me and I didn’t chase her.

However yesterday she sent an email apologising as things were going on at home and said please accept this email as my digital signature for the booking, but no booking form (alarm bells ringing). I said I need the completed BF which she sent me with only the departure flight from the U.K. of 5.50am and no departure time after holiday. I asked her for the form to be completed with her departure flight details on and lo and behold the departure flight is 23.55 on the 15th day, she also confirmed her deposit would follow, this still hasn’t been received into my bank account. I think she is taking The Michael and am wondering the best way to word my email so it is polite but to the point as I think she wants to pay for 14 days but arrives early and leaves later on the 15th day and I think that is why she hasn’t sent her deposit yet. How would you react, thanks. Sorry it’s so long winded lol
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

There are always some people out there who want to get something for nothing and if they succeed they chalk it up as a "win". She sounds like one of those. Forget about "digital signatures"(!). No completed booking form at your generous price coupled with no deposit means there is no booking. That is how it is and I would let her know that.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

There are always some people out there who want to get something for nothing and if they succeed they chalk it up as a "win". She sounds like one of those. Forget about "digital signatures"(!). No completed booking form at your generous price coupled with no deposit means there is no booking. That is how it is and I would let her know that.
mmg

Post by mmg »

Her flights are booked, if this booking falls through she might well struggle to find a 15 night stay, with an early check-in and late checkout for the price of a 14 night stay at 2018 rates.

How would I react? To be honest, based on your experience of this guest, I would be happy to let this booking go. My terms and conditions state that an enquiry is just that, bookings are confirmed on receipt of a deposit. I would remind her of this and then open up the dates across all platforms.

Another thought - you have been holding these dates for her for some time. She may be using that time to shop around, her deposit may never materialise.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Run!!!!!
COYS

Post by COYS »

roxytoo wrote:Run!!!!!
+1
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
vacancesthezan

Re: Early / late departures

Post by vacancesthezan »

susanmary wrote:
Fast forward and they want to book again and asked for early discount so I said I would give them the same rate as previous, she told me she would book the villa as soon as easyJet flights were out. About 2/3 weeks later she confirmed they had their flights but in her haste had booked an extra day making 15 days instead of 14 and asked if it was still available at the same price I confirmed she could have it at the same price for early booking and sent her booking form and she never sent it back. I emailed her and asked if she had received the booking form and she confirmed she had but there was things going on at home and it had delayed her sending it in. I gave her to the 12th October to send thebooking form in to me, however she didn’t send it to me and I didn’t chase her.

However yesterday she sent an email apologising as things were going on at home and said please accept this email as my digital signature for the booking, but no booking form (alarm bells ringing). I said I need the completed BF which she sent me with only the departure flight from the U.K. of 5.50am and no departure time after holiday. I asked her for the form to be completed with her departure flight details on and lo and behold the departure flight is 23.55 on the 15th day, she also confirmed her deposit would follow, this still hasn’t been received into my bank account. I think she is taking The Michael and am wondering the best way to word my email so it is polite but to the point as I think she wants to pay for 14 days but arrives early and leaves later on the 15th day and I think that is why she hasn’t sent her deposit yet. How would you react, thanks. Sorry it’s so long winded lol

1. If it is 15 days then no longer 14 and therefore she owes you another 1/14 of the price you quoted
2. If she wants an early start then that precludes you from renting the day before (no one is going to accept leaving at 5am in the morning to allow for incoming guests even assuming you can clean in between) therefore another night is required (ie 16 nights)
3. She want to leave a 11pm (ish!!) therefore no one incoming is going to accept not arriving before midnight therefore another night is required (ie 17 nights!)

You could soften it by saying that nearer the time if you have not managed to rent the days immediately before and after you will consider allowing her an early start and/or a late departure.

Plus do you really plan to ask your caretaker to see them in and out at these times? You could use this to strengthen your case!

We assume your arrival and departure times are clearly marked on the website/advert and are within the T&Cs?

If she accepts then ok, if not then you are better off out! Stand firm to these people.

VT

VT
Marks

Post by Marks »

Release the dates and cancel her booking. Can't be bothered with chancers.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

What was the outcome?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com