Desired Domain Name about to expire

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Normandy Cow

Desired Domain Name about to expire

Post by Normandy Cow »

There is a .com domain name that I would like to buy which is currently taken but appears to be about to expire on 30/12/06.

It was registered on 30/12/1999 and is not being used, so I am hoping (maybe in vain?) that the current owner is not going to renew it.

At which point can I try to register it myself? Do I have to wait until 30/12, or is there some sort of "waiting list" for domains about to expire?

Also, I notice that a record company already has the .org version of this domain name, and I wouldn't be surprised if they also have their eye on the .com version, so I may have some competition!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Have a look at the following.

http://www.domainnamealert.com/

There are plenty of others offering this service, I just chose this one because it was first up when I did a search
Cheers
PC
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I did something like this a couple of years ago for a domain. I think I went through Network Solutions, which allowed me to pay a modest fee and then auto-registered the domain to me as soon as it became available.

I think they had a protocol for what would happen if more than one person did this. I believe it went to auction... which, I'm guessing, wouldn't be good for you if you were competing with a record company. :)
Brooke