Booking.com ?

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
--Chris--

Booking.com ?

Post by --Chris-- »

Has anyone here tried placing their property on Booking.com ? I'm new to this, and as going through the registration process, I come to a page that says, basically, that when someone wants to book the apartment, I have no say in it?
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

yes on booking.com when you get a booking it has to be accepted so you have to keep your calender up to date

if you can accomodate you have to find alternative accomodation equal or greater than yours and if the cost is more you have to pay the difference

if in doubt speak direct to booking.com and get them to explain before you go live on their site
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

The truth is the best German wine remains in Germany
So forget your memories of Blue Nun & Black Tower
--Chris--

Post by --Chris-- »

Thank you, are there any good sites where the owners do have a say in who stays in their property?
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

Chris

it is difficult without knowing what market you are directing your let at
you really have to look through various portals that clearly are aimed at your business
but take time to look through the T & C's and see if it is somehting that works for you in commision , time updating your listings and calender , payment processing some sites offer you instant booking ( where you get a booking and have to honor it ) but there is some that await your answer some sites offer a 2 tier option but this will effect your viewing place on the site and commision rate
start by googling your area and type of accomodation and see what is on offer and maybe you own website
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

The truth is the best German wine remains in Germany
So forget your memories of Blue Nun & Black Tower
--Chris--

Post by --Chris-- »

It's for an apartment in Spain and was just wondering what others are recommending for sites where the owners decide if the enquirer can book their property?
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi Chris

The market is changing, driven by sites like booking.com and Airbnb where it is difficult to communicate with your guests before they book. Almost all sites are driving to an instant book policy.

We used to want to vet our guests as much we could and resisted the newer listing sites. We got off to some false starts with Booking.com and even a scam booking attempt. This was a booking that said they were a bunch of travellers, clearly we refused it which resulted in us getting an invoice for the additional cost to put them up at alternative more expensive accommodation.

We have had guests that we vetted as best we could but still disrespected the place and caused damage. We have not had any issues so far with AirBnB or Booking.com bookings, in fact it has been a really good way of selling out of season short breaks at a much better rate.

In short I think you have to embrace it or work way harder for your bookings.
Last edited by ianh100 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CSE

Post by CSE »

One is not allowed to discriminate against someone on the basis of race, colour, religion, national origin or gender etc. Those who wrote they were gypsies knew what they were doing!
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi CSE
I should have worded that better, we refused it for a number of reasons as they were likely to be over occupancy, the property also was not ready.

My point was that the implications of you not taking or having to cancel a booking are a lot worse that other OTA. With most you will still pay the commission and may slip down the ranking. With Booking.com you are liable for the additional cost of putting the guest up at a more expensive alternative accommodation. I think in our case our booking would have been £250 but the cost of the alternative was £450. So we would have been out of pocket by £200 plus the commission.

As I said the site has been good for us out of peak season but you really must make sure your calendars are up to date in real time.
--Chris--

Post by --Chris-- »

ianh100 wrote:Hi Chris

The market is changing, driven by sites like booking.com and Airbnb where it is difficult to communicate with your guests before they book. Almost all sites are driving to an instant book policy.

We used to want to vet our guests as much we could and resisted the newer listing sites. We got off to some false starts with Booking.com and even a scan booking attempt. This was a booking that said they were a bunch of travellers, clearly we refused it which resulted in us getting an invoice for the additional cost to put them up at alternative more expensive accommodation.

We have had guests that we vetted as best we could but still disrespected the place and caused damage. We have not had any issues so far with AirBnB or Booking.com bookings, in fact it has been a really good way of selling out of season short breaks at a much better rate.

In short I think you have to embrace it or work way harder for your bookings.
Thanks ianh100, that has helped. Who knows of any other big players who give the owners the last say in who stays in the property?
CSE

Post by CSE »

If guest turn up with too many let Booking sort it out. If you list as a capacity of X and guests X+ turn up then it is Booking's problem. If you only suspect something then guests are not "guilty" until they break the contract.
The same, as you found out, if you break the T&Cs with Booking then it is your "Culpa". This is clearly set out in Booking.com's T&Cs.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
--Chris--

Post by --Chris-- »

CSE wrote:If guest turn up with too many let Booking sort it out. If you list as a capacity of X and guests X+ turn up then it is Booking's problem. If you only suspect something then guests are not "guilty" until they break the contract.
The same, as you found out, if you break the T&Cs with Booking then it is your "Culpa". This is clearly set out in Booking.com's T&Cs.
Yep, fully understood, just trying to find sites where I have the choice.
Gazpacho

Post by Gazpacho »

Spain-holiday.com works well for us. They still offer a subscription listing. You can decide which requests to accept as the guest books direct with you. They seem to be switching to commission-based listings gradually so I don't know how long the old system will last!