Including the Kitchen Sink.

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Drax

Including the Kitchen Sink.

Post by Drax »

We will be upgrading our holiday-let kitchen during this coming Winter. This will include replacing the sink and sink-unit.
We are undecided whether to fit a stainless steel or a ceramic sink.
Ceramic sinks look more pleasing to the eye but I have some concerns that a ceramic sink could be damaged more easily(chipped or cracked), by careless guests.
Does anyone have ceramic sinks in their FHL and have they had problems with sinks being chipped or cracked?
Keep your powder dry.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi Drax
There was a ceramic sink in the cottage when we bought it in 2006.
Not had any problems with the sink.

The waste disposal system failed (insinkerator) and taps have been replaced but the sink comes up really clean.
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

Had one in our holiday let for 10 years. No chips on sink but lots of broken crockery if guests drop it in sink. Easily stained, especially strong tea. Needs cleaned most changeovers with strong bleach to keep clean. Was already in the house or I wouldn’t have one in a holiday let.
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

We have a ceramic sink from Ikea, the Havsen one and I hate it. The glaze on the bottom is starting to go so it never looks that perfect sparkling clean any more. It may just be the quality of the Ikea one just isn't very good. In London we had one made by Corian which I loved. The advantage of stainless steel (apart from being hard-wearing) is that cleaned properly they look very clean and shiny.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Thank you all for your replies.
I am erring to have a ceramic sink fitted instead of a stainless steel one. I can understand crockery being broken if dropped on a ceramic sink, however we are intending to have granite worktops fitted, which could mean even more broken crockery/glassware.
Reading Sanchisimo's post it would appear that installing a good quality ceramic sink would be prudent.
Looking forward now to Winter and all the hard work and expense of fitting the new kitchen.
Keep your powder dry.
SW31

Post by SW31 »

We have a double ceramic sink. I put in two sink mats over the sink. They’re rarely used but I think they’re a good ‘nudge’ to clients to think about being careful with the sink!
Drax

Post by Drax »

SW31 wrote:We have a double ceramic sink. I put in two sink mats over the sink. They’re rarely used but I think they’re a good ‘nudge’ to clients to think about being careful with the sink!
That is a good idea SW31 and thanks.
We shall put in sink mats when we have our new kitchen installed.
Keep your powder dry.