New holiday home letting

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Cathb

New holiday home letting

Post by Cathb »

Hello
We are hoping to let put our home next summer and stay in a static caravan in our garden to help recoup the building costs we have recently incurred . We don’t envisage getting back all of the money , but if we got some to top up our savings again, it will be worth it - I hope !
I have several questions !
1 . Has anyone done this , or something similar, and how has it worked out for you?
2. I would like to buy duvet covers with those slits at the top and no buttons etc at the bottom . Which supplier do people recommend please?
3 Any general tips please? We are in the North York National Park , and have approached the Park department about the siting of a caravan, although we’ve read that this is allowed without permission ..
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Do you have a big garden? Can it be sectioned off so that your guests have privacy and freedom?

If you have an orchard or something similar that would be fine,
If not, this may limit the number of people who would want to stay and you must be very up front about it before anyone books.

Please don’t leave any furniture or possessions in the house that are of monetary or sentimental value to you - you cannot guarantee they will be valued and respected as you do.

Good luck with this, it’s an interesting idea.
Drax

Post by Drax »

You must first contact your local council and or the National Parks to ascertain whether you need planning permission to site a static caravan in your garden. Failure to do so could be expensive if at a later date they found you had sited the caravan without permission and then force you to remove it.
I have read somewhere that a static caravan can be sited in a garden provided the occupants of the caravan use the facilities of the house, toilets, showers etc. but again it is important you must first get official permission.
Another factor is how confident are you that you can rent your house for a sufficient number of weeks per year to recoup the cost of buying and siting the caravan (provided you get permission) plus also your renovation costs. (Sorry to be a 'gloomster'.)
Good luck with your project.
Keep your powder dry.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Can’t help with the other parts, but those duvet covers are available from Richard Haworth (and transform the process of putting a cover on a duvet!)
If you do use them, try sticking a discount code of FAMILY10 in at checkout - if it works it’s worth 10% off.