Rubbish Bins Vs. Hot Weather. Solutions Sought...

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
LotBoy47

Rubbish Bins Vs. Hot Weather. Solutions Sought...

Post by LotBoy47 »

Long story cut short: I have to store all the non-recyclable rubbish on our property until early on a Thursday morning when I have to drop it up along side the main road 600 metres from our property.

Despite keeping the 350 litre wheelie bin we brought from London out of direct sunlight for most of the day, it’s still a stench-fest come bin day morning.

How do you keep your bins from honking in summer?

If anyone has a cunning way of towing a wheelie bin along a private road/farm track, I’d be interested to know.

Currently, I use a large garden waste bag and a tarpaulin to protect the back of my Duster as I’m told my hitching up my double axle trailer and back the whole lot down to the bin is far too noisy at 08:00.

This isn’t great as I have to air the car out for several hours afterwards.

bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Another of the joys of renting in hot climats.
What would Plato do ?
Circé

Post by Circé »

Simple solution: bag it up more often and drop it off at your local dechetterie when you're out and about doing your shopping or whatever.
LotBoy47

Post by LotBoy47 »

Circé wrote:Simple solution: bag it up more often and drop it off at your local dechetterie when you're out and about doing your shopping or whatever.
I had considered that as an option, but discovered that our dechetterie doesn’t take regular household waste.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Why can you only take the rubbish once a week? We have communal bins but I take rubbish as and when the bags are full. The communal bins are emptied once a week but there is no restriction on when you deposit your rubbish bags there. Are you only allowed to take your rubbish on Thursdays?
LotBoy47

Post by LotBoy47 »

la vache! wrote:Why can you only take the rubbish once a week? We have communal bins but I take rubbish as and when the bags are full. The communal bins are emptied once a week but there is no restriction on when you deposit your rubbish bags there. Are you only allowed to take your rubbish on Thursdays?
The problem is that 6 households (9 when our gites are occupied) only have a single bin that’s 2/3 the size of an old oil barrel to put rubbish in and the the local foxes rip into anything left outside the bin.

The bin sits on the neighbouring farmer’s land and he doesn’t want a communal bin there as the ones outside of hamlets/villages tend to get used as a dump for any old junk by anyone that’s passing and can’t be bothered to go to the dechetterie.

The best bit is that the road the bin sits near is a commune boundary and it’s actually the other commune’s collection service that picks it up. Our commune’s service is meant to come on a Friday, but hasn’t been seen in living memory.
Circé

Post by Circé »

LotBoy47, have you had a word with your Mairie? There must be a way to sort the problem.
I don't know your area in terms of waste collection, but are there recycling collection points/skips by for ex. the bottle banks, or in the centre of your village somewhere?
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I agree with Circe and it sounds like you need to have a word with your Mairie.

The bins overflowing in Summer is, potentially, a health hazard and you might also point out that you are paying taxes to have rubbish dealt with and your gites are bringing in money to the commune.

Say it all firmly and with a smile!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

One thing to be aware of if you speak to the Mairie - you may have to pay extra. I receive an extra bill from the SMICTOM because of my gites and the extra rubbish they generate.
LotBoy47

Post by LotBoy47 »

Thank you Circe & Gillian - we have spoken to the Marie, who said there is nothing we can do. We have spoken to admin at the local council offices, who said there is nothing we can do, apart from buying a bigger bin, taking it up the lane on a Wednesday night and then remove the bin as soon as the lorry has been.
As it has taken us months to establish when our actual collection day is (many varying conversations and emails) because we are on the border of two communes, we haven't actually found out what time the lorry comes ..... other than taking shifts to sit there and wait!
Buying a bigger bin is not practical as I would not be able to move it along two lanes, to the main road, plus the verge is on a slope so it would not be safe to leave it there unattended!
We have just said goodbye to a French family with two toddlers and MANY nappies :x

It's also strictly forbidden to take domestic waste to our dechetterie !