We have a situation

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
apexblue

We have a situation

Post by apexblue »

Last minute booking. Guest arrived lock failed. Locksmith gained entry. They have now left due to locksmith's dog scaring the children....and request full refund.

Payment from ABB due today but they booked on Tuesday on strict policy so unsure if they can now cancel.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Is this one of your last minute bookings who had wished to cancel (in previous post)???

(If so, could they just be looking to take advantage?) sorry but I don’t use the big booking sites so can’t offer anything more than to suggest you get the locksmiths account of this as well, because if true, his dog would have lost him a lot of business.

Presumably the dog left with the locksmith once the guests could get into the property??
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I agree with Zebedee talk to the Locksmith asap.
If the clients are seeking a full refund surely they'd have to apply to Air bnb for this.
Fleur
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Zeb this is our 3rd last minute 2 deaths and dog incident
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

zebedee

Post by zebedee »

apexblue wrote:Zeb this is our 3rd last minute 2 deaths and dog incident
Wow! How awful for you! Stay strong, this time will pass.

I still think the locksmith dog incident is being overplayed. That dog is gone(unless your locksmith is a neighbour??)
People who are frightened of dogs will come across them most days - surely?
farley

Post by farley »

If a family is unable to gain access surely they’d just sit in their car and wait for the locksmith to do his work. Or pop off and have coffee. Very odd.
Yes, agree with others speak to the locksmith ASAP.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

An alternative reading of the situation: guest arrives, for whatever reason, have changed their mind about their last minute holiday and don't want to stay (argument en route, sick kids, etc.), and either deliberately or perhaps accidentally (it's the final straw) break the lock. Have justified that on that basis, they can get a full refund. But... locksmith promptly arrives so they know they no longer have a case. They clutch at straws and blame locksmith's dog.

Unless the dog is sleeping in the same bed as the kids for the duration of their stay, they don't have a case fur a full refund.
LotBoy47

Post by LotBoy47 »

Another vote for getting the full story from the locksmith.

Odd for a tradesman to rock up with a dog in tow. Never seen or heard of this before.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Thanks all.

Guests arrived by train. Locksmith closed window of van when very rude guests complained about border collie. Spoke to guest who will wait to see if we rebook before giving a review...dont feel like busting a gut for this one.

zebedee

Post by zebedee »

apexblue wrote:Thanks all.

Guests arrived by train. Locksmith closed window of van when very rude guests complained about border collie. Spoke to guest who will wait to see if we rebook before giving a review...dont feel like busting a gut for this one.
Well honestly! Unbelievable! You are definitely the innocent third party in some strange interpersonal guest issues.

(I wondered if your cancellations are just weather related, with people thinking they could get somewhere in another country now this rain is showing no sign of clearing).

We will never know, but I do think you are better off without these guests.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Some folks :roll:
Refund because of dog???? Barking up the wrong tree, maybe.
Children scared of dog. Is that in modern parley.... Snowflakes?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Circé

Post by Circé »

LotBoy47 wrote: Odd for a tradesman to rock up with a dog in tow. Never seen or heard of this before.
Well I can think of several builders and tradespeople around Lot & Lot-et-Garonne who often have their dogs with me (me and OH included!)
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Offer of partial refund for nights we booked out rejected.

Threat of bad publicity and demand for full refund.

Really am sick of bullying guests.

roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Stand your ground. Let them know you are happy for them to take you to court, I doubt they will. 3 times I've been bullied and threatened with court and 3 times I said bring it on (I know I shouldn't but I did!) 3 times nothing happened. Though they all paid by bank transfer and not a OTA , what does ABB say?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Take a tip from the Duke of Wellington - "Publish and be damned!"
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.