What do you all do about rubbish?!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
hydroland2

Post by hydroland2 »

I've been thinking of getting a Waste Carriers Licence and getting rid of the rubbish myself. I've tried using private contractors, but the ones I used were expensive and not very good and trying to find an alternative is really difficult. For some reason they seem to think the road access is difficult - it's not - and won't do it.

I found how to get the licence but there are a couple of things I'm wondering about. How do I find where to take the rubbish? I have completely failed so far on this one as online searches just get me commercial waste collection companies and not commercial waste sites. Is there a register or something where you can find out?
Also - do you need to sort the waste before you take it to the site?

Thanks for any replies!

(I know this is a bit of an old thread, but since it's the same subject I thought I'd carry on here)
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

The company i use advertises themselfs generally as providing Skips for hire.

These Skips are picked up and taken away to there own yard where they have a weighbridge etc. They then empty the skips, sort out the recyclables, sell on what they can and then take what's left to the local council site where they then have to pay to dispose of what is not recyclable.

Some skip hire companies process the waste they take themselfs first whilst others pick up the skip and take it directly to the council run sites.

Find one that processes waste themselfs first and has a weighbridge of there own.

Phone them and ask what they charge, they will typically say £120 Tonne + VAT or some such figure. Then ask them if they charge by the Tonne as a minimum weight.

Typically they will say they charge UPTO each 10KG threshold.

The first 10GK will be £1.20, over 10KG and less than 20KG will be £2.40 and so on.

They'll say £120 a tonne because the vast majority of people taking waste to these sites will be delivering waste by the skip or lorry full consisting of several tonnes in one go. A typical medium sized skip filled with general building materials and rubble can weigh as much as 8 tonne.

Look for a Skip Hire Company that have their own weighbridge. You have to phone to find out.

You'l need a hard hat and a reflective tabard £20 for both at most.
Panjang

Post by Panjang »

I've been reading this thread with interest as I have been taking my rubbish to the recycling centre after each booking, not realising what I am doing is illegal. I just went on line and applied for a waste carriers licence and it was immediately approved. How do I now find out where to recycle it, or do I just take it to the regular place and pay?
Karen&John

Post by Karen&John »

Hi Panjang,

Either as akwe-xavante said above or,

I take ours to our local council recycling centre, they take trade waste. Our waste is classified as mixed general waste and charged at £5 per 80 ltr bag.
Sadly this waste is then thrown straight into the non-recyclable skip and goes to landfill.
Not Ideal at all but I don`t make the rules.
I do separate glass bottles and cardboard though.

Your local council recycling centre web site might help.
Best,
J&K
Panjang

Post by Panjang »

Thank you Karen&John. I'll check our local recycling centre. Trying to keep it simple.
chaletgirl

Trade waste disposal not accepted at my local recycling ce!

Post by chaletgirl »

We are thinking about setting up a new holiday let in Lancashire but when I looked at the council website it says they don't accept trade or commercial waste of any type at our local recycling centre. They also charge separately to collect it! " Please note this service is not provided through business rates and is a separate chargeable service" That's another cost I need to factor in :(
greenbarn

Re: Trade waste disposal not accepted at my local recycling

Post by greenbarn »

chaletgirl wrote:We are thinking about setting up a new holiday let in Lancashire but when I looked at the council website it says they don't accept trade or commercial waste of any type at our local recycling centre. They also charge separately to collect it! " Please note this service is not provided through business rates and is a separate chargeable service" That's another cost I need to factor in :(
That’s pretty standard. There’ll be a cost involved in disposal of trade waste anywhere, regardless of whether or not you’re on business rates. Many small recycling centres can’t handle the volume of trade waste which means a possibly long and smelly drive to a larger centre if you want to use the method of having a licence and paying per load. On the plus side, the fuel for the journey would be tax deductible, and maybe even the cost of de-odourising the car afterwards... ;-)

On balance, paying a collection fee is possibly preferable, if more expensive...
chaletgirl

Post by chaletgirl »

Thanks Greenbarn.
I was hoping to be able to get a licence as our recycling place is only a mile down the road. But it seems that no licences are available here - it'l have to be the council then...... :(
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

chaletgirl wrote:Thanks Greenbarn.
I was hoping to be able to get a licence as our recycling place is only a mile down the road. But it seems that no licences are available here - it'l have to be the council then...... :(
Not necessarily

I use a commercial waste contractor for my collection. Much more flexible than my local council, far less complicated ( they sort the recycling not my guests) and actually cheaper.