Google maps listing cottage as hotel

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Running Chrissy

Google maps listing cottage as hotel

Post by Running Chrissy »

I've recently (August) set up our cottage on Google My Business and chose the category self-catering accommodation.

When I look at it on Google Maps it shows up as Hotel which it clearly isn't and does not show up as "Holiday Rental".

I looked on My Business help forum and people are saying that Google does that with all accommodation BUT plenty of other cottages in the area are categorised as holiday rentals. Is it a recent change or something? I'm confused! :?
Making a start in North Cornwall 🌊
CSE

Post by CSE »

This one, near you has it given as a holiday home.
https://goo.gl/maps/z9vxMJJSizuTPZRZ8
this one too. https://goo.gl/maps/vNmVJ7gMCGVf8efYA
This one is classed as self catering accommodation. https://goo.gl/maps/icYz6HkGhbyPBBn97
I also looked at Google maps and your house is classified as self catering accommodating.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Running Chrissy

Hi CSE thanks for taking the time to look! The individual listing is fine, but when searching for cottages on a laptop on google maps the results panel divides into “hotels” and “vacation rentals” and ours appears in hotels :(
So I’m worried we will be overlooked when people search in the area.

Also at individual listing level it gives us hotel attributes eg the reviews ask about the reception staff and the catering. Which of course don’t apply!
CSE

Post by CSE »

Did not realise it was in a search result.
Done one for cottages Boscastle. To be honest a lot showed up in the results. Google maps also gives price range and other filters. Your property was not in the top 20 and google prefers to show properties that are listed in Booking.
The good news is that when I zoomed into the town and searched for "self-catering accommodation" your property was the 4th in the list.
Searched Open Maps too. The results were dismal. Only three "cottages" in the area. How to get your property listed on that?
Running Chrissy

Yes unless and until our agency does google booking we won't appear in that. But they have been excellent so far and we are fully booked through to 12 Oct so I am certainly not faulting their model at the mo!

I do have our own Wordpress website but would need to upgrade it to carry one of the agency's booking widgets. I've not done it yet but do intend to as that way we would see the effect of our own marketing efforts.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Running Chrissy wrote:Yes unless and until our agency does google booking we won't appear in that. But they have been excellent so far and we are fully booked through to 12 Oct so I am certainly not faulting their model at the mo!

I do have our own Wordpress website but would need to upgrade it to carry one of the agency's booking widgets. I've not done it yet but do intend to as that way we would see the effect of our own marketing efforts.

Me, I no understand.