Dog has peed on rug and guest didn't own up!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Running Chrissy

Dog has peed on rug and guest didn't own up!

Post by Running Chrissy »

Only our sixth lot of guests and our cleaner has just told us that the lounge rug is soaked by a large amount of dog pee. He tried to clean it but to no avail, it stinks so will have to be thrown out.

The guests left without fessing up which is very annoying.

Fortunately it's a fairly cheap Ikea rug but it's annoying to have to replace and disheartening. Husband has never been very keen on taking dogs and this is not amusing him at all... but two thirds of our bookings so far have been from dog owners.

Agency doesn't take damage deposit so I will be onto them on Monday to see what DOES happen in this situ.
Making a start in North Cornwall &#127754;
CSE

Post by CSE »

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

A number of owners swear by this stuff for treating dog urine smells.
Running Chrissy

Thank you, will get some of that. Have ordered new rug (£80) as it is the most straightforward thing to do.

Rather worried about the whole place smelling and about the potential for a dog to pee on the sofa (they are not allowed on the sofa but obv some owners will ignore that, these ones certainly did as there were hairs behind the cushions).
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

You are best with leather type sofas etc. if you accept dogs. Some dogs will dribble a drop of pee which may not be noticeable but will result in a smell. Not much help for you if your sofa is another fabric and it would be crazy to go to the expense of changing it now, so put lots of throws on the furniture that can easily be washed.

Even though I talk through the rules with guests about dogs ( not allowed on furniture or upstairs) before accepting the booking, I recently had a dog badly scratch our leather sofa (underneath what was covered by the throw!! ), and they allowed the dog to lie on the cushions off the bed which they put on the low windowsill (seen by my cleaner when she drove past).
So yes, whilst the vast majority of dog owners are highly responsible occasionally, and very sadly, you will get one that just ignores the rules.
Running Chrissy

Yeah it’s the not telling us about it that gets me the most. We’ve had our fair share of holiday accidents - daughter once spilt a whole cup of hot chocolate on a Majorca sofa bed and husband broke a fridge glass shelf by putting a four-pack of large water bottles on it (Greece) - but we always fessed up and offered to pay. Just basic decency innit?