HMRC min 104 nights bookings

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Karen&John

HMRC min 104 nights bookings

Post by Karen&John »

We are in our second year now.
In our first we had 60 nights booked (started july).
This calendar year we have 100 nights booked.

I understand that (UK), we need to have a min of 104 nights to qualify for HMRC rules on holiday lets.

Does anyone else have this problem and should I do (almost) anything to achieve the 104 nights?

Best,
J & K
greenbarn

Re: HMRC min 104 nights bookings

Post by greenbarn »

Karen&John wrote: should I do (almost) anything to achieve the 104 nights?
The requirement is actually 105 nights, which must be let on a commercial basis - ie intended to make a profit, which could rule out “almost anything” as an option.

The calculation is based on the tax year rather than a calendar year, except for the first year of trading. Plus, if you can show that you were making all the appropriate effort to meet the requirements but still fell short, you can apply for a grace period. I’d guess this isn’t an unusual situation in the first couple of years of running an FHL.

The accurate information is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... tings-2018
Kilm

Re: HMRC min 104 nights bookings

Post by Kilm »

Karen&John wrote:We are in our second year now.
In our first we had 60 nights booked (started july).
This calendar year we have 100 nights booked.

I understand that (UK), we need to have a min of 104 nights to qualify for HMRC rules on holiday lets.

Does anyone else have this problem and should I do (almost) anything to achieve the 104 nights?

Best,
J & K
I had all the legal advice when I started ours in 2017 and our solicitor told us that as long as we can evidence the property has been available for the required amount (or more) and that bookings have been taken, HMRC won't care if you fall short of the bar.

It's probably even better for you as you can show an increase - it's a business after all and it can take a while to get into 'profit' so to speak.

Still, seek legal advice if in doubt but HMRC is so swamped, if it were me I'd be confident it wouldn't be an issue - as long as I can show the effort has been made.
Karen&John

Post by Karen&John »

Thanks guys.
Just preparing our first years accounts, so your experience is very helpful.

Best,
J&K