Optimum number of guests in house?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Wongles

Optimum number of guests in house?

Post by Wongles »

I am in the process of buying a house which will be my retirement home in a few years time. The house has 5-6 bedrooms but, apart from one, they are all very tiny. Bathrooms are also small, one with restricted height over the shower. Kitchen, sitting room etc. are quite generous and fairly open plan, but cooking facilities are limited to standard oven, hob and a small microwave.

What’s a good number of guests in the house, given all require space at the table, bedding, bathroom facilities, etc. etc.? Are single rooms acceptable or must all be doubles or twins? Since my goal is to holiday let for maybe five seasons maximum, am I better to keep the number low?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
This is a learning curve...
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

It depends what you mean by tiny bedrooms. Is there space for a double bed with room to easily walk down either side plus somewhere to store clothes? If not, then I think they'd have to be single rooms. If you've got the space for 2 doubles and the rest as singles that could work for families or groups of friends.

6 guests would work for 2 children and 4 adults - parents and grandparents and also families of 5. I know a couple of these and they struggle to find self-catering accommodation to fit them. There seems to be a lot of sleeps 4 then a big jump to sleeps 8, 10 etc.

How many bathrooms are there? Depending on the market you're aiming at, you'll need at least 1 between 4 guests or even 1 per 2 guests.

Also, every guests needs a seat in the lounge and dining room so planning out how the sofas and dining table will fit might dictate numbers too.

You might want to consider setting the smallest bedroom aside for storage - the amount of spare bed linen, towels, spare duvets and so on is more than you think!

Another factor is who's going to be doing the changeovers? If it's just you then that might limit the number of beds you can turn around on changeover day.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

The requirements for your retirement home and a holiday let are different.

If it's to be your retirement home in a few years time, then you don't want to be making expensive changes to make a successful holiday let and then have to un-do them in a few years time - you won't get your money back.

For only a few years holiday lets, do the changes that you want to make for your retirement home.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

If you take Newtimbers sensible advice, I would imagine that groups of friends or couples with friends would give a group of guests with some who would be be delighted to have their own individual bedroom.

It gives you somewhere to retreat to and avoids any tensions about the time people go to bed and get up at (and snoring!) without disturbing others.

If you market this right, you may have your unique selling point and do quite well.
Wongles

Post by Wongles »

Thanks, everyone.

By tiny I mean that the difference between a UK small double, double and king and the extra length with king will be very important. There’s one room which will go to storage or a dressing room since it would otherwise be a single, one good sized 6 x 4 which will be a king/twin, four further rooms at max 4 x 3 and three small shower rooms, one with a bath, plus a separate lavatory. I don’t want to invest in more than 8 people in terms of amenities, chairs, sofas etc. and I won’t be doing the changeover since I don’t live anywhere near.

I don’t even think the difference between 6 and 8 in terms of potential rental income would justify the outlay, capital charge offset aside. I have tried to compare similar houses in a similar area but most seem to have knocked through to gain fewer, bigger rooms.

Once again, thanks all so far!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

If you are not doing your own changeovers, don’t underestimate the amount of storage that you will need.

At least 3 sets of bedding and towels
Toiletries
Cleaning equipment and products
Toilet rolls, kitchen rolls and tin foil etc take up a large space.
I could go on but you get what I mean.

Your cleaners will need to be able to see everything laid out and access it all quickly or else you will be paying for their time.

Buying in bulk yourself is much more cost effective than paying a cleaner to pick up supplies for you.

Then you will need storage your guests can access eg ironing board, games, clothes airer.

I would suggest the bedrooms be as spacious as possible. Think about where people will store cases and bags.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I've just had a most miserable stay in a "twin room" that should at most be a single.

The beds were a few inches apart, one walkway down one side of them, the second was pushed up against the wall. Barely room for a tiny single wardrobe and that filled the room. Nowhere to put anything.

It was bad enough for one night. If it was for a week I'd be horrified.

Don't try and squeeze too many people in. They need to be comfortable.
Running Chrissy

Post by Running Chrissy »

More people mean more wear and tear too. We've got three bedrooms but market it for four people as we don't want to cram them in (and one bedroom is small).
Making a start in North Cornwall &#127754;
Wongles

Post by Wongles »

Thanks, all good information, assuming our purchase goes ahead I will market for six max in four bedrooms.