Zip and link mattress with 2 regular bed bases? Newbie!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
CBOwner

Zip and link mattress with 2 regular bed bases? Newbie!

Post by CBOwner »

Hello everyone! We are just in the process of buying ourselves a holiday home with a view to renting it out for a lot of the year when we are not using it. My husband and I have been browsing through lots of threads on here in awe - what a treasure trove of useful information!! So many helpful threads and so reassuring that there are many others who have gone before us!

I have looked through all of the zip and link threads that I can find but cannot see the current question on my mind. Please forgive me if I have missed it. We are just looking at the master bedroom in the rental. We have decided to go for zip and link mattresses for more flexibly for our future guests. Our cottage is very traditional but we would like the interior to have a contemporary twist. All of the zip and link bed bases I can find all seem very traditional (all quite large, high divans, unless you're willing to spend a lot of money. And even then there doesn't look to be much choice). My husband particularly has a thing about not wanting a divan and I do agree it would make the room feel a lot smaller. I was therefore wondering about simply buying 2 standard single beds in a more contemporary style (wooden, or fabric with wooden legs, for example. Quite low). And then we would put the zip and link mattress on the top and use a comforter when together. Has anyone ever done this? Pushed 2 singles together with a zip and link mattress to form a superking? Does it work? Do you need something to stop the bed frames coming apart? Would guests think it was weird?! We would state on the website that the room could be made up either way so hopefully it would all very very transparent.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Very quick response for now - have a look at this and see if it would help. https://www.outofeden.co.uk/products/2999/quick-link
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

At the moment I have two single beds pushed together and a system a bit like the Out of Eden example shown above. However, I also tie the two divans together at their feet and then use a valance to hide the two divans. I think there's a risk of the separate bases sliding apart if you don't strap them together somehow. If you want to keep the effect open so you can see the bed legs you could use the same bolting mechanism you see on the ziplink divans, but just position it on the bed frame itself. Or, alternatively just strap the bed frames together in a couple of places along the sides where they abut. The strap won't be seen as it will be under the mattresses
CBOwner

Post by CBOwner »

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your responses - that is really helpful. Which single bases do you use SPJ? Also do you use this method with the device shown in the video but to keep the bases together instead?

Many thanks!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Just re-read your post and realised that you’re proposing to use Z/L mattresses so the Out of Eden solution isn’t relevant (and probably more faff than Z/L mattresses).
I’d agree with SPJ that you’d need to tie the bases together in some way, and webbing straps along the adjoining side rails is probably simplest to keep out of sight.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Nothing special about our divan beds. Believe it or not, the previous owners (12 years ago) left us two 3 ft single beds so we had somewhere to sleep our first night before our removals van arrived the next day. And they obviously weren't new when we got them and weren't designed to be zip link. Hence the fact that I just rope the feet together and put a valence over the top to hide it all. Mattresses on top: one was left by the previous owners, the second we had to replace and just bought a standard foam mattress, these I harness together with a couple of adjustable straps to make a super king size. (I like the look of the Out of Eden strap system, so will buy one of those). What is key is that on top of this I place a high quality super king mattress topper (well over 100 €). I keep thinking I must replace this Heath Robinson affair except that so many of our guests say how comfortable the bed is!!!
CBOwner

Post by CBOwner »

No problem Greenbarn - I am not sure I was particularly clear! It is good to know all of the products out there. That is good to know SPJ and fantastic that your guests love the bed/s! Lots of things to think about and discuss with the husband!

Thanks again :)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I did the same as SPJ in our downstairs twin. They're 2 big standard twin beds and I tie them together at the bottom and top with cable ties. I then put a very thick padded mattress protector over both mattresses. It is a 6ft one.
None of the beds had headboards and I panelled the wall behind so it looked good either with the beds as a large king or as singles.
Easy peasy on changeover day.

Mousie
x
CBOwner

Post by CBOwner »

This is really helpful. Thank you! :D
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

My two elderly beds came with pretty uninteresting wooden headboards which I padded with foam and then covered with lining material - just stapled to the wood. I then made two sets of quilted slip over covers - one which goes the entire length of the two headboards and the other, two separate quilted covers for when the beds and hence the boards are separate. The thing I like about them is that I can take the headboard covers off and pop them in the wash so they are always clean and fresh for the next guests. It means I can get rid of any residual perfume / sweaty head smells!

I can remember staying once in a hotel where the room was supposed to be a non-smoking room but the fabric of the headboard stank of cigarette smoke! Reception fortunately were able to change my room.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

SPJ wrote:My two elderly beds came with pretty uninteresting wooden headboards which I padded with foam and then covered with lining material - just stapled to the wood. I then made two sets of quilted slip over covers - one which goes the entire length of the two headboards and the other, two separate quilted covers for when the beds and hence the boards are separate.
France may have different regulations and I'm sure you're fine but in the UK, the headboards would be covered by fire regulations which seem quite complicated.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks Newtimber - never thought of that! What about these mattress toppers then? Are they ok?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

SPJ wrote:Thanks Newtimber - never thought of that! What about these mattress toppers then? Are they ok?
I think if they can count as mattress protectors and washed in a domestic washing machine then they don't have to comply. If they are a secondary mattress then, like the mattress itself, they do have to comply.