Glass hob damage

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
chaletgirl

Glass hob damage

Post by chaletgirl »

We have just had Our first guests at our new rental.
When I went to clean after they left I found that the previously pristine hob had a bubbling deposit or possibly damage that I cannot remove by conventional methods. When I asked the guests what this could be they replied that they had only heated some homemade soup in a pan! I believe that this has been caused by oil being left on the hob and being heated to such an extent that the glass surface may now be damaged.
The guests also said they brought all their own food pre- cooked due to religious reasons - they also brought a fryer and slow cooker which must have been boiling under the wall units as there was an awful mess on the underside of the wall units too.
Added to this they also left their wet towels on the polished dining table! Grrr
My question is this - if I cannot remove this deposit ( there are now other guests in so can’t try again till they have left)would it be reasonable to withhold their damage deposit and claim the cost of a replacement hob? Your thoughts would be appreciated thankyou
vacancesthezan

Re: Glass hob damage

Post by vacancesthezan »

chaletgirl wrote:We have just had Our first guests at our new rental.
When I went to clean after they left I found that the previously pristine hob had a bubbling deposit or possibly damage that I cannot remove by conventional methods. When I asked the guests what this could be they replied that they had only heated some homemade soup in a pan! I believe that this has been caused by oil being left on the hob and being heated to such an extent that the glass surface may now be damaged.
The guests also said they brought all their own food pre- cooked due to religious reasons - they also brought a fryer and slow cooker which must have been boiling under the wall units as there was an awful mess on the underside of the wall units too.
Added to this they also left their wet towels on the polished dining table! Grrr
My question is this - if I cannot remove this deposit ( there are now other guests in so can’t try again till they have left)would it be reasonable to withhold their damage deposit and claim the cost of a replacement hob? Your thoughts would be appreciated thankyou
We had the same problem on a brand new glass induction hob after the departure of the first renters. The following renters managed to leave it pristine after their departure so we emailed them to ask what they did! Below is their reply exactly as written

Kitchen roll, washing up liquid, and cleaning it whilst it still has some heat after switching off (although not so hot that you burn yourself through the kitchen roll/cloth you are using, or melt it!)

We havent tried it ourselves as the hob has been left pristine since but worth a go?

VT
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

If you are 100% sure that the guests caused the damage and you cannot rectify the damage then you should certainly charge the guests. In any case, you could charge for the cleaning time if you feel inclined.

Depending on the age of the hob you may not be able to charge full replacement cost.

Of course the guest will deny all knowledge of causing damage and no doubt they will be disappointed to have some/all of their damages deposit retained but that is the purpose of it.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Deposits on ceramic hobs can usually be removed easily with a sharp scraper which is an essential part of the cleaning kit! Glass is much harder than the steel blade in the scraper so the risk of scratching is minimal. Something like this

Some deposits, eg jam, need to be removed fairly quickly or they can etch and weaken the glass leading to potential problems in the future.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

greenbarn wrote:Deposits on ceramic hobs can usually be removed easily with a sharp scraper which is an essential part of the cleaning kit! Glass is much harder than the steel blade in the scraper so the risk of scratching is minimal. Something like this

Some deposits, eg jam, need to be removed fairly quickly or they can etch and weaken the glass leading to potential problems in the future.
Someone managed to pit the glass on our ceramic hob! Don't know how you do that.

Jonathan
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Jonathan wrote:
greenbarn wrote:Deposits on ceramic hobs can usually be removed easily with a sharp scraper which is an essential part of the cleaning kit! Glass is much harder than the steel blade in the scraper so the risk of scratching is minimal. Something like this

Someone managed to pit the glass on our ceramic hob! Don't know how you do that.

Jonathan
There's apparently a connection between burnt-on sugar and pitting/etching of the glass, but the science of that is way beyond me! The sugar can come from less obvious sources such as tomatoes.

The deposit described in the OP sounds like it would just scrape off - fingers crossed.
chaletgirl

glass hod damage

Post by chaletgirl »

Thank you for all your suggestions and comments. I will go armed with a scraper and try the washing up liquid/ warm hob idea too. The hob is practically new with no marks at all so I am 100% that the guests are responsible. However, I don't want to charge them unless absolutely necessary so will try everything else first.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

PS we always use a ceramic hob cream cleaner, usually in conjunction with the scraper - helps the scraper slide more easily as well.
Karen&John

Post by Karen&John »

+1 on the scraper
I use a single edge razor blade (from craft shops or ebay)
The polish with hob cleaner

Happy new year,
J & K
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

I find Hob Brite helpful with burnt deposits and it also removes metal marks from other surfaces such as baths, wash hand basins etc
chaletgirl

Post by chaletgirl »

Thank you all for your input - vacanciesthezan wrote that a subsequent guest had virtually removed the difficult to shift marks and this has happened here - a quick polish with hob brite finished the job so very relieved I have been able to refund the damage deposit :D
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

chaletgirl wrote:Thank you all for your input - vacanciesthezan wrote that a subsequent guest had virtually removed the difficult to shift marks and this has happened here - a quick polish with hob brite finished the job so very relieved I have been able to refund the damage deposit :D
Good news

Shame that this doesn't work for ALL cleaning. Wouldnt it be great if you could leave a dirty house and find that the next guests had cleaned it for you

VT
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Indeed. Although, to be fair, I did once have a group of three 'youngsters' (early 20s) and I was dreading what they would leave. But, they left everything cleaner than they found it. RAF personnel and used to living in 'quarters' where they had to have everything ready for inspection and leave everything perfectly when they left a posting …………….