New booking - 10 month old baby

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
chaletgirl

New booking - 10 month old baby

Post by chaletgirl »

Hi Everyone,
We have just had a new booking for August.
They have sent a note that they will be bringing a 10 month old baby with them - My problem is that I’m not at all sure our rental is suitable for a toddler or small child.
We don’t have a cot or high chair and due to storage, will probably not want to supply these. Added to that, from a safety point of view, both our bedrooms have floor to ceiling mirrored wardrobes. As we have had a couple of toddlers ourselves, we know that a lot of mishaps happen when they are finding their feet! I am also a little worried about all our carefully chosen lamps etc escaping damage.
What would others do please? I don’t feel I can just cancel the booking so am thinking of sending a reply just to let the renters know about these issues so They can consider if our place really is suitable for them.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Is the 10mth old their only child? And is it 10mths old now or in August? If it's their first and it's only 2 mths old now they may have no idea what life will be like when it gets to 10mths!

If they have other children then, if it was me, I'd let them know my concerns and they can decide based on their experience. However, if, as I suspect, this is their first then it sounds like they haven't considered the different facilities they'll need in 8 mths time. You might have to spell out the issues and offer them the chance to cancel with no penalties (assuming you won't have any trouble filling August dates).

For the future it might be worth adding something to your listing to the effect that the property may not be suitable for toddlers and asking guests to check the details with you before they book.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I don't encourage small children either. We offer no equipment for them as I don't have enough suitable storage.

However all my wardrobes are actually attached to the wall for safety anyway. We just used some brackets from a hardware shop.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Every child is different. Some are laid back and don't walk until they're 2 and are quite happy in a static playpen - and at 10 months they will be sleeping in a travel cot that they cannot get out of. The decision is the parent's, but parents with toddlers will go and stay with grandparents etc and I cannot see anyone saying to their friend with a toddler that they aren't welcome to stay with them because their house is unsuitable for toddlers.
chaletgirl

Post by chaletgirl »

Thank you for your replies - very helpful :)
I've emailed the guest just pointing out issues that we are aware of and given them the choice of cancelling if they wish to.
This is their first child Joanna. The wardrobes are sliding door type so are fixed in place.