Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Bed Linen- lost the will to live !
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Just starting out
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiltscottage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zebedee,
I am going for two bath sheets, four bath towels and six hand towels, so just enough for six at a time. I'm looking into other brands such as mitre and richard ashworth but they are all of a similar price so I must be out of touch.
Am now going to look at Dunelm and poly mixes!
zebedee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at dunhelm, but then rejected them.

For towels you need them to have the edges (I donít know if the expression is over sewn), but whatever it takes to stop the edges from fraying.
Out of Eden ones meet that criteria. I canít remember if Dunhelm ones did, or if it was the reviews about washing etc that made me decide to go with out of Eden.

That was more than a year ago. Reviews may say different things now.
Emmy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
See my post directly above your original, willscottage. I use Hilden. I know a lot about textiles and opted for 80/20 for a variety of reasons. You do need 3 sets per bed - that's what we've found. We spent £2,000 on bedding in around June 2016 and apart from a few stained pillowcases we've thrown out,it's all still in good order. Mattress protectors were not part of this, nor were actual pillows and duvets. It covered single and double fitted sheets, duvet covers, pillow protectors, pillowcases, bath sheets, hand towels, bath towels (for pool) plus a few kitchen towels. We have 5 bedrooms so that's for 4 double beds and 3 singles/10 people at any one time. It IS more expensive than you'd think, but £600 for 6 seems way too high. I'd also say that 300 count 100% cotton isn't always the best option. We get very hit summers and ours have had no complaints.
Joanna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get towels from http://www.ajtowelling.com/ and they've been good value and reasonably priced.

We got bed linen from Dunelm when we started because I didn't know where else to look (that was before I discovered LMH). It was OK but seemed to shrink over time, especially where we use a commercial laundry, so the fitted sheets get harder and harder to put on!

I recently ordered some replacement pillow cases and sheets from https://www.richardhaworth.co.uk/ after recommendations on here.

It gets easier when you can just order a few replacements at a time. It's those early set up costs when you have to buy everything in one go that can be eye watering! As always, it depends on your market - if you're going for luxury then you'll have to pay more. We were more mid-range so Dunelm was OK for us to start.

Our general principle was to start out with what we could afford and then every time something needs replacing we go up a level in quality if at all possible.

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
rosebud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wilts Cottage

Yes that does sound a lot to me ..

At the end of last year I bought 2 sets of fitted sheets and pillowcases (poly cotton) for my 2 bed, sleeps 3 cottage, to replace my assortment from different sources in shades of white that didn't always quite match. Hoping that if I need to buy more the same brand will be available.

You could shop around .. I have bought Christy's towels online previously, and John Lewis towels and duvet sets - sometimes in the sale.

Still using a (cheap) BHS duvet set bought when I started in 2011! Not much damage to my bed linen over time .. towels tend to have a shorter life.

Jenny
Wiltscottage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.

I spent hours researching online and eventually went for Out of Eden commercial laundry range for my first set. I then spent hours looking in stores at the quality for subsequent sets, but the comparable quality towels were actually just as if not more expensive that Eden, so I bought duplicates from them too.

Now to find a storage box as our local laundry doesn't collect on changeover days....
Karen&John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now to find a storage box as our local laundry doesn't collect on changeover days....

This presented us with a problem when our local laundry changed their pick up/drop off day.
We started with 3 sets of everything but then we found that we then needed 4!
Happy days.

Best,
J&K
Just starting out