Coronavirus - is it affecting your bookings?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Pengman

Post by Pengman »

Hi ianh100,

Thanks for posting and good to get feedback from people who've been doing it a lot longer than we have. That's a very good point about guests possibly preferring smaller self-contained properties, as opposed to larger multi-occupied hotels etc. Also, I think the coronavirus should make the staycation more attractive this year. I guess these factors together gives us an edge which we should expolit in our marketing.
I came, I saw, I bought it.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

I certainly think UK gites could find they do well this year, but business may come in a rush at the last minute as people make up their minds to cancel if this is not brought under control in the next few weeks, especially if their travel plans involve flying. How ever remote and well positioned the gite (ours is) they still have to get here, with all the uncertainty of contagion at airports and in the plane.
I would avoid saying anything about your own precautions because there is absolutely nothing you can do to control what they come into contact with outside your immediate environment - you cannot make any sort of promise to protect them.
TGS

Corona virus

Post by TGS »

Hello people - I have been wondering about the impact of the Corona virus to my holiday lets in West Bay. I haven't had any cancellations yet but am expecting some any day.

We have a significant number of returning guests who have now reached.. how can I say this.. a very decent vintage. They have been supportive, lovely and feel like friends after 5 years. I know I'm supposed to be a hardened businesswoman but part of me feels like if they cancel I can't really do anything but agree.

Are any of you in this situation?

Thank you

Tracey
Flying by the seat of my pants.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Very much like you Tracey, our first visitors are lifelong friends and he is 80. All our paying guests this year except one family are returners and one couple are coming back for the fourth time. I just want them to all be safe. I would rather they cancelled than risked falling ill. We are lucky in that we can just get by on our pensions, so have a different perspective from those of you who must have the income. Tough times.
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

I've had 4 cancellations in the past 3 days - 3 of these are trying for a full refund from ABB (currently they are only due 50%) and I have had their Support Team on my back for each one suggesting that I give a full refund. One party is in the UK, the others are overseas.

The latest email from them relating to a cancellation this morning makes little sense but seems to imply that we won't have much of a choice but to give a full refund!

"Any of your decision will be appreciated. However, our policy is updating from time to time and it is possible that your guest reservation might cover for a full refund. If that's will happen, we might override the decision from your end."
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Thats not great news, I have a couple of Easter bookings via ABNB, fully expect them to roll over if guests don't want to come.
TGS

Post by TGS »

According to Jeremy Vine on R2 today a UK based holiday let company is reporting a 10% increase in bookings in the last week compared to last year. On the other hand I spoke to someone at booking.vom yesterday (a rarity in itself) and they reported that they are already seeing a high number of international cancellations.
Swings and roundabouts...

I have had a few bookings this last two days tbh. Two for the summer hols and a few short breaks.
Flying by the seat of my pants.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

HomeAway current advice to travellers is to discuss cancellation policy with owners, use travel insurance and check if you have any with your credit card company if you used this method to pay...

https://help.homeaway.co.uk/articles/Wh ... oronavirus

So hopefully this protects owners somewhat from being forced to give refunds
paolo

Post by paolo »

DivineMrsM wrote: I agree, Paolo. You probably don't remember (it's a long time since I was on here!)
Yes I do remember, and it has been 9 years!
I think we will lose our shirts this year, even the Lake District is getting cancellations from people who drive to get there.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

waterwitch are cancelled bookings due to virus and imminent ? Refer them to their insurance. Change your cancellation to super strict. So sorry to hear.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

From guest

Of course a new potential issue is the coronavirus and potential of restrictions imposed on travel. Have you given any thought to your approach on bookings in this event (we don't have travel insurance)?
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I would refer them back to the original confirmation message that highly recommended taking out travel insurance.

If a guest is told they can't travel from where they are then it is their problem. If we end up with a restriction that says they can't travel to our location then I can't see any choice but taking a hit of 100%.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

ianh100 wrote:I would refer them back to the original confirmation message that highly recommended taking out travel insurance.

If a guest is told they can't travel from where they are then it is their problem. If we end up with a restriction that says they can't travel to our location then I can't see any choice but taking a hit of 100%.
Agree, I think that's the best policy. If flights are cancelled then I think insurance is valid. If its personal choice then I think guests should be in a position to accept the hit, not us.

I wonder if insurance companies have now, as pandemic has been confirmed, implemented a cut off point to take out insurance.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
jafa

Post by jafa »

Certainly LV have, they've stopped issuing new contracts.
Jafa
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

Apex Blue - yes, I have a strict cancellation policy but ABB are trying to override and are clearly taking the view that owners should take the losses, not the guest. Home Away have just sent an email to owners giving advice that "in the event of a cancellation, in the spirit of good hospitality, we strongly encourage you to offer a full refund".