Coronavirus - is it affecting your bookings?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
jafa

Post by jafa »

I`m sorry but that is one reason why I stopped advertising using HA. They think its their property. They maybe can afford to take the hit, but we as private individuals have to make our own decisions.
Again, another reason why I binned them. They keep telling the prospective customers that they get this that or the other benefits, but not once did they ever vet me for anything. So still plenty of rogues operating under their banner that they have never scrutinised.
Jafa
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Thanks for posting about the ha email. I got as far as the CEO wanting to reach out and stopped reading.

Ha are terrible if you do business direct with returnees, their algorithm dumps you at the bottom.

My own bookings here in Spain are almost zero so I have written this year off and am enjoying the villa myself.

Good luck to everyone on here, I love reading the posts but rarely post.
whirlybird

Post by whirlybird »

waterwitch wrote:Apex Blue - yes, I have a strict cancellation policy but ABB are trying to override and are clearly taking the view that owners should take the losses, not the guest. Home Away have just sent an email to owners giving advice that "in the event of a cancellation, in the spirit of good hospitality, we strongly encourage you to offer a full refund".
Indeed, the OTA's are all sending emails out, they don't want a bad rep.
After a really busy start to the year there is nothing now, just tumbleweed. ☹️
https://www.moorparks.co.uk/farm-stay-self-catering/
https://www.facebook.com/moorparks/
Moorparks Holiday Cottages Moorparks, EX19 8NA 07850 356627

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in the correct order as they should be!
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

If Macron closes the French borders as he hinted at this evening, gites will loose all bookings. We have a property maintenance business and one gite has all UK guests. We also have a B&B with only 2 bookings so far, one Spanish and one UK and expect them to cancel any day. We could end up with no income at all. Very worrying for all.
hydroland2

Post by hydroland2 »

I've had no more bookings since the beginning of January. Luckily I had quite a few in before that, but normally by now I would be more or less fully booked for the year. So far there have been no cancellations, but I have guests from Spain due in 2 weeks so I don't know what will happen with that, it's going to depend on border controls.
I'm not intending to refund anyone who cancels outside my t&cs. I just can't afford to do that, especially as it's obviously going to be a bad year.
I am a bit concerned about the possibilities of any guests bringing the virus with them, although obviously there is always the chance a guest could bring something nasty with them I suppose! We always clean the property thoroughly, but there is limited time between guests and we do the cleaning ourselves, so there is also a possibility that we could contract the virus ourselves despite taking great care while cleaning.
I think it's going to be a difficult year...
TGS

Post by TGS »

As expected I received cancellations yesterday from a couple of guests in their 80's with health problems. I then received a cancellation from a group booking and this morning I've woken to a very worried email from a another guest whose balance payment is due tomorrow.

This guest is very worried and asked if I'd received any advice - from who I'm not sure.

It's going to be a tough few months isn't it....
Flying by the seat of my pants.
Olandbec

Post by Olandbec »

waterwitch wrote:Home Away have just sent an email to owners giving advice that "in the event of a cancellation, in the spirit of good hospitality, we strongly encourage you to offer a full refund".
But we can only refund the amount we receive after HomeAway etc have taken their commission. Will they refund their part too do you think??
jafa

Post by jafa »

What I don't understand re HA, is the reason I left them is because they hold the money until after the guests have been.

So what money are they talking about YOU returning? Or are they asking for your permission to allow HA to return the money they hold in advance of the guests turning up.

At the end of the day, individually WE are in charge of our business. And each owner have different views and ways of running their individual business.

Im sure wed all agree that we would treat returning guests differently to a new one.

I had a cancellation a couple of weeks ago, as the main guest broke his foot. Hed stayed with us 4 times previously, both in the winter mainly and last summer. At the same time of cancelling he requested to book again for next February. And off he went to his Insurance Company to make a claim. I would not appreciate HA e-mailing me to ask as "a gesture of goodwill" to be returning monies. Im sorry but that's what Insurance is for.

The Tirol has announced that as of Monday all Hotels and Apartments are to close. With guests Im assuming having to make the necessary claim against their insurer. A friend of mine has been banging on for years about why he doesn't agree with his wifes stance of getting paid on arrival. So for the next month at least, no Income. !!!!!!!!!!
Jafa
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

ABB are now giving full refunds to all guests who cancel, regardless of any prior cancellation policy.
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Your guest Catherine can't stay at your place anymore because of the COVID-19.

The guest was fully refunded £467.76 for reservation HMXQJAQEDE, starting on 12 April 2020.

For more information, please read our Extenuating Circumstances policy.

Please take a minute now to mark your calendar as unavailable for as long as you need to.

THERE IS ONE CASE IN OUR AREA.....
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

We had come up with a system whereby we would retain the guest's deposit for them to use at another time within the next 18mths. The two bookings who cancelled earlier in the week were fine with that. Neither had travel insurance. I don't think it's at all fair for the hosts to take the hit because the guest doesn't have insurance.
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
paolo

Post by paolo »

From airbnb to hosts today:
"We’ve worked hard to find a balance between supporting your hosting business and protecting the well-being of our collective community...
In simple terms, this means that for eligible reservations:.. Guests have the option to cancel reservations for a full refund."
Yes, they have worked really hard on that balance.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

Just had a lovely e-mail from the Spanish family we have had to cancel. Told us they fully understand, it is not our fault and to hold onto their deposit as they want to come later in the year if all ok by then. Bless them.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

2 new bookings on Monday. A cancellation from HomeAway yesterday.

Intend offering remaining guests with direct bookings the chance to defer their trip using existing payment as credit.

Not so sure on how to handle HomeAway bookings. Have a strict policy and 2 bookings within next 60 days who won't be able to cancel. Any suggestions?
jafa

Post by jafa »

Id stick to your guns and not be dictated to by a company that may have the financial clout to ride this through. Its your business, not theres. I don't know how long you've been with HA. But when I signed up with them in 2009, it was a platform to market/advertise my property.

Slowly but surely, they felt that they actually own your business. Your terms of cancellation were on the HA site. I`m assuming at no time did anyone from HA contact you previously to discuss this and comment? No. They are panicking because of the bad publicity they fear will happen.

At the end of the day, after this all calms down, Im assuming you wish to carry on keep trading. Its your call how you deal with things, not HA.

The difficulty is, Im assuming they actually hold the funds from your guests.
Jafa