Wood floor damage - advice needed please

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
chaletgirl

Wood floor damage - advice needed please

Post by chaletgirl »

I am so upset about the state my place was left in. Despite house rules asking for the place to be left clean and tidy and stating no outdoor shoes to be worn inside, my wood floor has hundreds of indentations (some quite deep) from what looks like could be a nail on the bottom of a shoe. They were only in for two nights and also they left all the washing up - even though we have a dishwasher and tablets were left. Complete lack of respect for us and our property really.
We took only £100 as a damage deposit but this will not cover the floor damage - the marks are too deep to sand out. what would you do I this situation please? Just keep the deposit or try to get them to pay to have the floor professionally refinished? Thanks
Last edited by chaletgirl on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi Chaletgirl,
This is a heartbreaking situation. I am really sorry. Do you think it has been caused by stilettos??
The first thing is, what exactly do you say in your terms and conditions about any damage?

I would ring them and have a nice conversation asking how they found your property, then move on to ask if they had any problems. I would then move on to say what is in the TCs (provided they wording is strong enough) and tell them you will be getting an estimate which you will submit to them.

You may not get a good response, but stick to your guns and go to the small claims court if necessary. Do you have photos of the floor before the damage? If so email the photos to them after the conversation.

I could understand one ot two marks as being accidental, but from what you say, they must have noticed what was happening.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Two options.
1. A pro floor sander, which means emptying the affected room(s) a lot of sweat, noise & dust & then refinishing. Solid timber could probably take out 1-1.5mm surface damage. Veneered or engineered floors significantly less.
2. Live with it. No solace, I know - but some wood floors can look better over time with a little wear & tear.
Either way, charge for the damage.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

What a shame.

I am sure that there is a way you can use an iron to remove them or at least reduce the impact. Maybe google it?

With the numbers of dents you are talking about it may not be an option. But worth looking into?

VT
chaletgirl

Post by chaletgirl »

Thank you all for your suggestions,
I wrote an email to the couple, expressing my disappointment and attaching some photographs of the damage, pointing out that house rules state no outdoor footwear and that as this had been ignored resulting in considerable damage. I wrote that we were withholding the damage deposit and that an estimate to make good would follow. Guest wrote back that they had not worn outdoor shoes and had no idea how the damage had been caused - maybe it had already been there? 😬 I reiterated that I had mopped the floor just before their arrival and assured them that it defiantly was not.
Not heard anything else from them so I intend to send an estimate as soon as I can get someone to quote for it. It’s an engineered wood floor so no chance of complete removal of the indentations- will just probably have to be lightly sanded then a tough varnish so dirt will not get into them too much and at least it will be sealed 😟
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Oh dear sorry to hear this, I had a similar experience.

A newly fitted bathroom, repeat guests came and chipped the side of a silicon bath. Something sharp and with downward force.

So I emailed them asking them what on earth they had done.

Tbh I really thought they would fess up, the daughter wore metal braces on her legs so suspect this was it when she got into the bath to shower.

They of course denied all knowledge, show us the proof etc. I took this as an admission of guilt. I still think of them when I see the bath chip but don't miss them at all as guests. This was 3 years ago I was only annoyed for 12 months.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

In my first year of renting, some guests complained that one of the loos was overflowing (agree, that’s not nice). We had a bit of a barney about refunds wherein he got nasty and talked about legal action. I got my (very hands-on) manager to investigate the drain, which was blocked by several hair-curlers. The guests had two teenage daughters, so I asked if they were missing any curlers. Silence followed.
Mind, I didn’t get compensated for my manager’s time, but it was worth it just to imagine their embarrassment! :D

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Kilm

Post by Kilm »

This is why you take before and after pictures.

After every clean, I have pictures taken of key areas (floors, doors, curtains, expensive items) and that's my proof in the event of damage.

In your scenario, I'd have kept the deposit, presented both picture sets, and made it clear I'd be looking for more.

If they make a bad review, then if you have your own website, you create a new page, put the before and after pictures and an outline of why the deposit was taken, and link to that in your response to their review.

If people want to fight, then let's fight!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Kilm wrote:This is why you take before and after pictures.

After every clean, I have pictures taken of key areas (floors, doors, curtains, expensive items) and that's my proof in the event of damage.

In your scenario, I'd have kept the deposit, presented both picture sets, and made it clear I'd be looking for more.

If they make a bad review, then if you have your own website, you create a new page, put the before and after pictures and an outline of why the deposit was taken, and link to that in your response to their review.

If people want to fight, then let's fight!
How do you prove that the photos weren't taken a long time ago? Dates on photos can easily be changed so unless the guest signed them when they arrived to show they agreed with them. it doesn't prove anything.