Coronavirus - is it affecting your bookings?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

+1 Calderdale Council
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

- Conwy :evil:
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
shamac

Post by shamac »

Yes to Northumberland, 2 minutes to fill in the form online, 2 days later I have the money in the bank, massive thanks to whoever posted this on here, you have saved our year xx
The harder you work, the luckier you get.
hydroland2

Post by hydroland2 »

Still nothing from Herefordshire except.....
"we are currently identifying businesses that will be eligible for the government's grants for small businesses, leisure, retail and hospitality"
I don't think I better hold my breath! :roll:

Good to see that some other LAs are paying out promptly though!
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

hydroland2 wrote:Still nothing from Herefordshire except.....
"we are currently identifying businesses that will be eligible for the government's grants........
. How can Herefordshire still be “identifying businesses” when the rules are crystal clear and so many other LAs have already paid out?!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

They are making payments though

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/news/a ... businesses

I suspect they may have prioritised what they see as “businesses” rather than the hospitality sector though.
So long as you have your demand bill for business rates 2020-2021 showing a full small business rate relief, you have the evidence that you are entitled to the grant and will be able to successfully challenge any non payment.

Try not to worry, they may have a lot of staff off - I was quite astonished at how quickly this has all been managed and I think it is a credit to hard pressed authorities that they are managing this so quickly.
Karen&John

Post by Karen&John »

+1 Breckland council (Norfolk) :)
Dorset57

Post by Dorset57 »

We started our FHL business a year ago and have our business rates bill showing the small business exemption. However the COVID grant application from our local rating authority requests a company name, but we are operating as sole traders rather than as a company....have others applying found this to be an impediment ?

Thanks
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Just put the name that your FHL is advertised under???
That’s what I would do.
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

My cottage is in a Dorset too so I was a little flummoxed by the company name. You can’t leave it blank so I just put Not Applicable. I didn’t want to put its website name as it said “as registered in Companies House”. But, no payout yet, just

“Thank you for your application.

As you can imagine, we have thousands of applications to verify, and check that they meet the criteria set out by the government.

As soon as we've reviewed your application, we will be in touch.”
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

So what do we all make of Prof. Neil Ferguson's comments from on the "Today" programme this morning? ".....it’s not going to be going back to normal. We will have to maintain some form of social distancing, a significant level of social distancing, probably indefinitely until we have a vaccine available." Can anyone explain how that would work in a holiday let scenario? Germany is keeping all pubs, bars and restaurants closed until the end of August (at the moment). The UK government is watching other countries closely and could well follow suit. How many people will want to take holidays if they can't enjoy them to the full?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Depends if your guests just "fly and flop" We have guests who come back every year for the peace and quiet and just to lie by the pool. They literally go no further than the local Lidls. No everyone has the money for eating out and visiting tourist attractions.
We expect to social distance for much of this year. We will make sure our cottage is spotless, we will chat to them from afar and leave them in peace. They can't wait to come!
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

No pools at our cottages. They are all in North Yorkshire - our guests tend to go out.
J B
Location: We live in England and have rental properties in N Wales and Paphos, Cyprus

Post by J B »

Eagerbeaver

Post by Eagerbeaver »

Good luck with Gwynedd, they've ballsed up apparently allowing some 2nd home owners to flip to rates avoiding a council tax premium, did nothing about that and are now planning on avoiding paying legitimate FHLs the grant that the rest of the nation will receive.