Homeaway and coronavirus

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

I have just discovered that HomeAway has discontinued their early payments for bookings. This is despite their Opt-In scheme from last year. I can't find any notification for this.

I recently got a booking for 2021 and noticed that the booking deposit hadn't arrived. When I called HA they told me that the Early Payment scheme had been discontinued.

Am I the only one who didn't get a notification of this? Could there be a cash flow problem? They are making a lot of refunds just now.

Background story -
https://www.floridarentalbyowners.com/r ... rs/news.27
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

Silverado, I received an email from HA in March stating that they are "pausing the early payout programme"...another kick in the teeth :roll:

Here's a copy of their email:

"Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 virus, we are pausing the early payout programme in your market at this time. We are continuing to monitor the situation and will keep you updated as events evolve.
Effective immediately, any new bookings will be paid out the day after your guest checks in.

We recognise the burden placed on our partners, and thank the majority of partners who are already working with guests to change reservation dates or offer refunds despite cancellation policies — even though it means a financial hardship. We are asking all partners to offer a full or expanded credit for stay dates within the next year at no additional cost for guests who can't take trips now due to COVID-19, or a full refund. When you do, HomeAway will waive the cancellation penalty and reward you with additional visibility and attractiveness in holidaymaker searches. The global emergency policy will impact cancellations for stays from March 13 – April 30th. If guests will not accept a credit during this time frame, we expect you to refund at least 50%.

We know the uncertainty of this situation may be stressful and we appreciate your patience as we work through this together."

So, HA "recognise the burden placed....even though it means a financial hardship...blah de blah." ....We're still delaying your payments though.....! :evil:
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

Can anyone tell me what the benefits are of paying a subscription to Homeaway of £249 plus VAT given that they've now suspended early payments? Is there something I'm missing? Just been asked for this and as I've been disgusted with their very poor handling of the crisis which has only contributed to the stress and worry of owners I'm struggling to think what's in it for me. Please let me know if you do think there are still any benefits for paying the subscription.
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Yorkshire Lass wrote:Please let me know if you do think there are still any benefits for paying the subscription.
I've always paid their subscription but have just gone over to commission based as I get very few bookings from them anyway now. Chatted to a really nice guy - working from home - who said that's what most people were doing this year. It means I keep my advert and my reviews but don't pay anything until I have a booking - this year, unlikely to get anyone, next year, I'm hoping most of my returners will come back in 2021, so may only get 1-2 new guests via HomeAway. So no, I don't think there are any benefits for me.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Yorkshire Lass wrote: Please let me know if you do think there are still any benefits for paying the subscription.
It really depends on your rental rates in our case. We have 2 properties, one of which is a lot more expensive on a weekly rental and therefore the percentage that HA/OD would take would soon exceed the annual fee.
The other we are on commission basis.
We get most of our bookings (and cancellations this year) via the HA group; I wish we didn't but there it is !
What would Plato do ?
explodingaardvark

Post by explodingaardvark »

I have a situation where I gave a customer a 100% refund for a booking at the end of May, via the Homeaway web site, in three parts. All this was done at the beginning of April. The customer has just informed me that two of the refunds are still outstanding.. Looking at the Homeaway on-line page for the booking it is reporting that the payments have been refunded. Has anyone any information as to what is happening with these refunds (or to be more precise, non-refunds)?
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

explodingaardvark wrote:I have a situation where I gave a customer a 100% refund for a booking at the end of May, via the Homeaway web site, in three parts. All this was done at the beginning of April. The customer has just informed me that two of the refunds are still outstanding.. Looking at the Homeaway on-line page for the booking it is reporting that the payments have been refunded. Has anyone any information as to what is happening with these refunds (or to be more precise, non-refunds)?
Yes, I have the same situation. I authorised a full refund at the beginning of April. The reservation on HA says refunded, but the guest has still not received it. I checked yesterday, and there is now a message saying that there is a 3-4 week delay in issuing refunds :roll:
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Sammy wrote:
explodingaardvark wrote: I checked yesterday, and there is now a message saying that there is a 3-4 week delay in issuing refunds :roll:
Someone has a cash flow problem ? Could not happen to a nicer company (irony)
What would Plato do ?
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Worst case scenario for HA,

If, following the cancellation of the early payment payout, they then went into receivership would we still have to honor the booking made by the guest?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Sam V wrote:Worst case scenario for HA,

If, following the cancellation of the early payment payout, they then went into receivership would we still have to honor the booking made by the guest?
Yes. HA is acting as your agent. The contract is between you and the guest.