Corvid 19

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I am out thousands
You are certainly not alone. Just like millions of others around the world. Some lost job other businesses (of all sizes) are near to collapse.
At the moment next year is not looking like it will be a "normal" year either.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I know i am not alone. I do know the current situation!
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

The restrictions due to the virus will probably prove to be the thin end of the wedge. If there is mass unemployment people will not be taking holidays full stop.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Roxytoo wrote:
"I am out thousands because I am returning deposits as an agent (which was my income) and as an owner."
I am with you all the way R2. We went through the wringer after the bank crisis.
As an agent and an owner you should consider my last suggestion in the "bright spot" thread. With people restricted in travel, even down to just our own province, I have a hunch that there will be a small but significant return to the practice of "veranear" where a family take a property for the complete season.
People who have a nice second residence in another province can't go to it and that is looking like well into summer 2020. These people usually have a few bob so they can think about taking a property for a couple of months.
I believe it may also give a tax advantage depending on the region you are in. One type or rental is tourist (full tax) while with a standard period rental the tax rated is halved.
It's not for everybody but these are desperate times.
And the real crazy is that if your property lies empty you have the imputed capital gains tax to pay as well.
dixeady

Post by dixeady »

'And the real crazy is that if your property lies empty you have the imputed capital gains tax to pay as well.'

Do you think there's any chance the Spanish gov or tax people will waive that policy this summer? If we literally can't rent out our properties - by law - and can show that no elec etc has been used, will they still try to tax us owners 'that we might have stayed there'?! If so, I despair of them...
joddle

Post by joddle »

As my first booking is due in the first week of July, I have now offered to return the deposit if the person wishes to cancel now. However if they leave it too late I reserve the right to keep part or all the deposit as they will then leave me with no opportunity to rebook to a local person or even other tourist if that becomes possible.

My gut feeling is that if it is impossible for me to service the booking then I must return the deposit - and at the moment that situation is unclear as I cannot still travel to my property to get it ready for rental as currently I cannot travel from my own province to the one where my villa is even though its not really very far away! If I am unable to get there then I will return deposits in full for everyone affected.

Oh for a little certainty eh???
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Just heard on the grapevine that Spain will be allowing UK residents and some others (not specified) into Spain without the need for quarantine for tourism at sometime later in June! However I can't find anything official on that so am unsure if that is urban myth or actual!!!
Marks

Post by Marks »

Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
joddle

Post by joddle »

The uncertainty is the worst thing. But I don't blame the government at all - its the most difficult thing to call and get right! Glad its not me having to decide..
joddle

If a guest gets has or may have CV19

Post by joddle »

What will happen if a guest staying in a villa thinks they have CV19 or does in fact have it? - Are they supposed to isolate and if they are only booked in for 7 nights what will the correct response be? must they leave or remain and stay isolated. The knock on effects could be disastrous for not only the property owner but the guests due to follow on!
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Hello Joddle, you might want to look at this thread ...
viewtopic.php?t=29430
joddle

Post by joddle »

Thanks - the link makes for interesting reading but does not really provide any realistic or good answers. We know the risk is probably not huge but it is there - and so far I can't find any information about local isolation facilities near Javea which is where our villa is. Also now totally unsure of what to advise to our guests. Should we warn forthcoming bookings there is a slight possibility that accommodation could suddenly not be available if a preceding guest becomes infected? That seem to me to be a real frightener for people but what are the alternatives? Insurance appears to be impossible... So what next?
CSE

Post by CSE »

Maybe wait and see when the government of Spain issues a decree about holiday rentals. Maybe it will be down to each Comunidad Autónoma. maybe there will be facilities which are made available. Maybe you will have to implement a cleaning regime to between each stay which could affect your reservation calendar.
If your market is only non-Spanish then various news articles are not giving clear signals as to when foreigners will be allowed into Spain. There is confusing news about who may not be allowed in too. Airlines seem to flow and ebb on their decisions as to when they will start running "regular" routes again.

Letting people reserve weeks and months ahead at this moment could be a bit of a risk. Who knows for certain what is going to be dictated in the world of the new normal.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

You're all going to have to get your tongues around the Scottish "ch" as in "braw bricht moonlicht nicht" and " loch" etc. The key product for cleaning and sterilising in Spain is "lejia" just bog standard bleach. And the letter "J" in Spanish is pronounced like the Scottish "ch".
So get practicing now. If you do the Spanish alphabet the letter "J" is called jota, pronounced "chotta".
And Joddle, don't think you're getting off because Javea is pronounced with the "J" like in James by Valencianos. They speak a form of Catalan which is worse to pronounce and "lejia" becomes "llexiu". For that tray making a sneeze "atchoo" and stick and "L" in front.
There is a spray form of alcohol that they are now using in garages before they hand your car back. That may become the standard for holiday lets but cleaners will still probably want to use bleach.
Och aye the noo!
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

costa-brava wrote: There is a spray form of alcohol that they are now using in garages before they hand your car back. That may become the standard for holiday lets but cleaners will still probably want to use bleach.
Very early on I read a technical paper that ordinary bar soap - I use Simple soap as it's not perfumed - is good as it breaks down the outer "skin" of the virus. And also that alcohol should be the product of choice - hence all the alcohol hand sanitisers.
Unilever would like us to believe bleach is best - against viruses it's not. But obviously is better than nothing.
I use a virtually dry J-cloth and smear it over the top of the soap, wipe it over whatever I'm cleaning and basically leave the film of soap on the surface (that included packets of salad, though I have now noticed a slight soapy flavour to our meals!) The soap is best left to work on the item. I am going to warn our guests that the light switches, TV remotes etc may feel a bit slippery.