Changeover day

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
TheBrewster

Changeover day

Post by TheBrewster »

I'm wondering if I can pick some brains please...
My housekeeper is very keen for me to change our current changeover day of Saturday to another day for the 2021 season.
This is purely for ease - we could be far more flexible for people with late/early flights and the cleaners would not be in such a (grumpy) rush.
We're in Mallorca and Saturdays in summer are frantic for everyone, as they are in any tourist region.
But I'm just not sure. Would it put people off because potentially they'll have to take more than 5 working days off for a weeks holiday (or 10 for 2 weeks)?
I'm also thinking there are far more charter flights on a Saturday.
What do you think?
Thankyou :-)
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

It would have been a deal breaker when I was working full time.

Now I'm self employed it wouldn't matter.so much but I still like to have a day at home before picking up the laptop again when Monday comes around so I'd not rule out a Friday but wouldn't want a Sunday
TheBrewster

Post by TheBrewster »

Hmm.
Thought as much. Friday was the day we were going to go for.
Thanks so much for replying Caro.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Thought I'd posted a reply here but it's disappeared. Basically I was suggesting that having your entry day flexible can cost you dearly in terms of lost days. Some people like a Friday changeover but it can be difficult to sell. We found in the end it was better to really pin guests down on their arrival/departure plans and it's surprising how it spreads throughout the day.
Making ch/over day Friday works for some people but being flexible is costly.
elena

Post by elena »

Hi!

When we had 7 gites we split the arrival days , 3 arriving on Fridays and 4 on Saturdays. We then added a separate house in the next village and were forced to choose Sunday as a changeover day.

That was 6 years ago and we have always been fully booked in peak season with no problems whatsoever wherther Fri, Sat or Sun.

We found that people like driving on lorry free roads (in France) on a Sunday and flights were cheaper on a Sunday too

Elena
www.dordogne-holiday-villa.co.uk
man who stand on side of mountain with mouth open waiting for roast duck to fly in have long wait....
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I like your post Elena, totally different opinion to mine but based on solid experience, not just opinion.
TheBrewster

Post by TheBrewster »

Thanks so much Elena.
I was veering towards sticking to Saturday and you have changed my mind!
I'm thinking I might try Friday for a season and see how we get on.
And thanks costa-brava too! When I say flexible, I don't mean on the day of arrival, I just mean early check ins or late check outs. The cleaners have agreed to be far more accommodating for people with odd flight times if it's not on a Saturday if you see what I mean!
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

Can't comment on overseas lets (so my comments may be irrelevant). We have 3 cottages in Yorkshire. One, in the Dales, tends to appeal mainly to walkers and gets almost exclusively 7 night bookings - and is on a Saturday changeover. The other two are in the seaside resort of Whitby. Although many do come for a full week, we also get a lot of short breaks. We have a Friday changeover on these, as it allows a 3-night "long weekend" and a 4-night midweek booking. We find Friday changeovers more flexible.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Hi Gems....just seen this and wanted to say that some friends of ours had a Friday arrival day with their 2nd villa on Ibiza and had no trouble filling it over the years they rented it out.
I think it can depend on the property. If its attractive enough people will go along with a non-Saturday arrival......and your place is stunning, so shouldn't think for you it will be a problem!

Mousie
x
p.s. they also had a few guests over the years that then stayed in Ibiza Town on Saturday night to extend their hols. So a night in Palma might be attractive for some.
TheBrewster

Post by TheBrewster »

Thanks Jak!
That's very useful.
I am thinking we'll just try Friday for a season and if it doesn't work then we will have learnt our lesson! X