Bookings not being cancelled -yet!

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Tourist accommodation encompasses private lets
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

The reference is to the opening to the public of hotels and tourist establishments

"Apertura al público de los hoteles y establecimientos turísticos"
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

I would agree. Properties registered as tourist accommodation with the local Junta should be covered by this. However, there does seem to be a little bit of making it up as they go along with the powers that be.
joddle

Post by joddle »

It is going to be difficult to know exactly what to do until the holiday villa situation is better known. If as some people think, the facilities will not be able to be used this summer then we are all up a gum tree as that means no income. Others believe we will be able to let to Spanish people from the same province (or maybe further) by the time July reaches us - but of course no-one knows for sure at the moment. Currently I am not even allowed to travel to my villa to set it up or maintain it as its in the next province to me although not really that far away!!!!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

JODDLE: I have noticed in your previous posts, that you are not wildly in love with your agency people. I think the last comment was about them bumping up their charges. I hold agencies in very low esteem and that is from over 30 years of experience. One particular game they play is to rent out an apartment or villa mid summer when they know it's unbooked but the owner is not around and unlikely to produce a booking.
This year is going to be rich pickings for dishonest agents. If you aren't allowed to visit your property they can do what they like. Things are going to be tight in the real estate world so they'll be needing some cashflow.
I also noted a comment about smart meters. That's where the smart boys might fall down. If the property has been used it will show on your electricity bill.
I know that some LMHatters are agents so please don't take offence at these comments. I do have real experience of these practices. It's not just an opinion.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Hi - thanks for the warning but my agency is only a listing agency and they do not actually put people into the villa - they done evwen have access to keys etc! -

I do already monitor the electric as we had an issue with the pool pump working overtime at one stage and realised how useful the smart metering was. Nothing untoward there at the moment apart from the overgrown garden - although I have someone doing that for me now - they have oy jest been allowed to use the refuse dump again.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

If you have the water on a smart meter, that can be a real pain in the butt. If you have something dripping over a 3 day period you get a message to check your taps etc. That's great if you have a significant leak but it doesn't distinguish between a leak and a drip. Maybe it's just the water company here that has it set too sensitive.
joddle

Post by joddle »

I only have electricity on a smart meter - what we saw was a huge increase in activity at regular times of the day not normally to do with the pump - we so have had that fixed.

On water leaks that is a real issue as last year we had a leak but it went unknown for 2 months (the billing period for our company) and in total it cost us over 2000e in excess. Good job we had insurance which covered the bill and the repairs which were extensive. It was pipes under the villa which had leaked meaning replacing new tubes almost under the whole building. The odd thing was that although we lost so much water - a whole swimming pools worth - there was no evidence of it leaking from around the property - no damp patches or water appearing from anywhere and as we had guests in at the time it went unnoticed until the bill arrived!!

My message from that is ensure your insurance covered not only repairs but the cost of lost water also - and always check those bills for unexpected rises in usage!
joddle

Post by joddle »

Yesterday I received our first cancellation - Actually it was no surprise as it was someone from the UK and they were due to begin in first week of July so no doubt they had fears about if they could even get here; and if so what awaits them; and then of course enforced isolation for 2 weeks when they return to the UK! I returned their deposit if full as at this stage I am not even sure I could service their visit. I do feel sorry for them and wonder how many more there will be!
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I'm beginning to take bookings for July..........Sanchez has said Spain will be welcoming tourists from July (although he hasn't said 1st July all the press are reporting that date) and there will be no quarantine...........fingers crossed!