Updated website (with SuperControl & Master Cancel)

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Have you checked the HTML? There are a number of possible errors which could cause issues.
There is a mixture of pages written in HTML and PHP. Is there a reason for that?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

CSE wrote:Have you checked the HTML? There are a number of possible errors which could cause issues.
There is a mixture of pages written in HTML and PHP. Is there a reason for that?
I think that the pages are html but the file extensions are php?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

A couple of small things:-
1) The website should be a secure website otherwise browsers produce lots of warnings
2) You use Google Analytics and cookies are stored without users giving their permission. You are also storing other cookies which aren't mentioned eg what is _fbp? You probably need to mention the name of the person controlling the data and be registered with ICO and put your ICO number in the privacy notice?
CSE

Post by CSE »

Newtimber,
I do not believe that a PHP webpage can be written using HTML coding. PHP can be inside a HTML document, if the coding is correct. Even then normally, (again I believe) the code is used only for something like forms. However, with HTML5 this is outdated and on only has to use PHP to send the script.

I too was going to write about possible privacy issues. Just that most members seem to shrug this issue off. :roll:
Mind you at over 200 pages it is enough to turn a lot of folks off. :)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... regulation
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

CSE wrote:Newtimber,
I do not believe that a PHP webpage can be written using HTML coding.
It may or may not be a php file. The file extension may not be correct.
AndyPearce

Post by AndyPearce »

CSE wrote:Newtimber,
I do not believe that a PHP webpage can be written using HTML coding. PHP can be inside a HTML document, if the coding is correct. Even then normally, (again I believe) the code is used only for something like forms. However, with HTML5 this is outdated and on only has to use PHP to send the script.

I too was going to write about possible privacy issues. Just that most members seem to shrug this issue off. :roll:
Mind you at over 200 pages it is enough to turn a lot of folks off. :)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... regulation
The PHP extensions are a legacy thing which I have just forgotten to change back. It was indeed to embed PHP forms into the page for things like contact forms. I can change them back now, just forgot to do it!

With regards to privacy etc I'm either going to implement a warning etc or remove the need for one. I don't use google analystics very often and the other one is Facebook Pixel but for the benefit vs the work I might just remove them and have no cookies on the website and no customer data stored.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

AndyPearce wrote:and no customer data stored.
You are storing customer data even though it is stored by SuperControl. I think you are still a Data Controller. GDPR is very wide ranging and you have use the customer data and process it by writing the auto-emails for example. If you ever phone the guest, the guest's phone number will be stored on your phone.

I think that not storing any customer data or correspondance at all is terribly risky - what happens if SuperControl goes bust/ gets hacked?
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

On the GDPR issue - it's only about £40 to register as a data controller and we use it as an extra way for potential guests to verify our identity. We put our data controller number on the web site and a link to ico.org.uk so they can search for us and see that the details match the ones on our site.

They have a 'data protection self assessment toolkit' on their site which will help you check if you need to be registered (you almost certainly will do).
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
CSE

Post by CSE »

Joanna wrote:On the GDPR issue - it's only about £40 to register as a data controller and we use it as an extra way for potential guests to verify our identity. We put our data controller number on the web site and a link to ico.org.uk so they can search for us and see that the details match the ones on our site.

They have a 'data protection self assessment toolkit' on their site which will help you check if you need to be registered (you almost certainly will do).
I cant find anything on Supercontrols website. That is what Andy is also using to take reservations etc.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

CSE wrote: I cant find anything on Supercontrols website. That is what Andy is also using to take reservations etc.
It's nothing to do with SuperControl. This is the ICO website that has the questionnaire. https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/bu ... e-traders/