Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Homeaway chargeback

Rental listing sites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b_javea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Homeaway chargeback Reply with quote

Weíve just had an email from Holiday Rent Payments who (those that use HA) used to be the Homeaway payment provider until late last year (I think).

Anyway, they say a guest that had booked for 18 July at our villa has issued a chargeback via their credit card company saying ďno service was availableĒ. Thing is, they decided not to pay the final 50% balance back in April, saying they didnít want to travel anyway. I went into great detail exposing our t&cís (ďno refunds on cancellationsĒ) and that she would not get her deposit back. She seemed to accept this...

So now I have to provide proof to Holiday Rent Payment about why I dispute the chargeback.

Of course itís fairly clear cut - she cancelled the booking, not us, she could have stayed that week with no Spain (villa location) or uk restrictions (where guest lives).... and 3 months before their holiday she decided to cancel as there were a few elderly people in her group.

Now sheís trying the chargeback route.

Anyone had experience with this?

I feel as itís via a third party provider (or fourth party if you include homeaway) they will make little effort to fight this on my behalf......
dixeady

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HomeAway Strict Cancellation policy - quoted below.

'Holidaymakers who cancel at least 60 days before check-in will get back 100% of the amount that they've paid. If they cancel after that point, they will not get a refund'.

I don't understand why they didn't just get their money back, if they did the cancellation? Around April/May, I wrote to anyone booked for mid-summer (HA), coming from different countries to Spain, advising them to cancel and get a full refund (citing Covid), so that I could clear the calendar for local Spanish guests. In the end, it hasn't helped me much as even the Spanish are cancelling! But it should have been a straightforward process.
b_javea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixeady wrote:
HomeAway Strict Cancellation policy - quoted below.

'Holidaymakers who cancel at least 60 days before check-in will get back 100% of the amount that they've paid. If they cancel after that point, they will not get a refund'.

I don't understand why they didn't just get their money back, if they did the cancellation? Around April/May, I wrote to anyone booked for mid-summer (HA), coming from different countries to Spain, advising them to cancel and get a full refund (citing Covid), so that I could clear the calendar for local Spanish guests. In the end, it hasn't helped me much as even the Spanish are cancelling! But it should have been a straightforward process.

Because thatís not my cancellation policy, thatís why.
SPJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b_javea wrote:

In that case I think you will have to come off HomeAway. Or at least find ways of arranging bookings other than through their platform. Unfortunately these days they have the final say. That's what we sign up to, those of us who are still on it.
b_javea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPJ wrote:
b_javea wrote:

In that case I think you will have to come off HomeAway. Or at least find ways of arranging bookings other than through their platform. Unfortunately these days they have the final say. That's what we sign up to, those of us who are still on it.

Yes I only use as a shop window and accept only a couple of bookings now a year from them. However, youíre missing the point.... Iím interested in anyone that has been through the chargeback with HomeAway....
bornintheuk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are missing the point.

Irrespective of your cancellation policies it clearly states on the HA website that " an owners cancellation policy should not be different to that of the HA site" - I paraphrase.

So in the fact that you advertise on their site you are breaking their rules, whether you like it or not.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have understood from HomeAway - the owner sets the cancellation policy and any recommendation about an owner being flexible on their cancellation policy (due to covid) was a suggestion only.

HomeAway said they would reward owners who were flexible (with the equivalent of a five star rating to boost where they appear in ranking).
Rental listing sites