Quarantine for returning Brits

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Its all becoming very complicated as now we are told the advice can change "at any time" and so France and Germany may soon be on the list!

Where people have booked and are no longer able to come, I am returning all deposits and rentals in full so long as I have good prior notice. Just because people were good enough to pay up front for something they can no longer have does not seem a good reason to hold onto their money even though it represents a loss to me. I am happy enough to take late bookings with money paid almost at the point of delivery so cannot see how I can penalise those who have paid months in advance.

The most frustrating bit is that the UK has a much higher death rate than Spain which makes the current policy seem totally inappropriate and makes me wonder what the real thinking is behind the change. Being cynical, maybe its because over the past 2 weeks they have seen many more Brits than expected flooding to Spain and the government does not want to see all that money being taken out of the UK so have put the brakes on!!!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

joddle wrote:
The most frustrating bit is that the UK has a much higher death rate than Spain which makes the current policy seem totally inappropriate and makes me wonder what the real thinking is behind the change. Being cynical, maybe its because over the past 2 weeks they have seen many more Brits than expected flooding to Spain and the government does not want to see all that money being taken out of the UK so have put the brakes on!!!
Having been rightly critisised for initially locking down too late, the UK cannot afford politically to repeat the same mistake again. If there were another spike in the UK, then you can see the headlines "UK allowed travel to Spain even though the infection rate in Spain was increasing rapidly - UK slow to act" etc etc.
Ele

Post by Ele »

Are you refunding in full where you can provide the rental accom but the guest has to quarantine on return? Or offering a credit towards future holidays.
Refunding in full, as have done for all bookings cancelled since March. These July/Aug cancellations were replacement bookings made on flexible cancellation terms anyway. What a mess....
CSE

Post by CSE »

joddle you are right it is all confusing.
Even Germany have suggested that their rises in cases is partly Spain's fault. Well the Germans returning from a vacation in Spain.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/dest ... ases-rise/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogo ... aying-low/
Madrid has now announced new measures, in what is said to be a safe country. :(
After the severest lockdown in Europe Spanish cases are rapidly raising. Question is were the actions Sweden took correct? They have not seen a rise at the moment.
Was Spain pushed into opening up as the rest of Europe. I remember it wanted to open borders later than France, Germany and other countries.
Can we believe the figures published?
Why has the UK back tracked from 14 to 10 days isolation? Are these measures simply plucked out of the air?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Marks

Post by Marks »

I know of several people who have had successful insurance claims for Covid cancellations.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
leon

on facebook

Post by leon »

Cheltenham for Europe
12h ·
First-hand account of travelling between UK and Spain:

"I flew into Malaga on 17th July. I completed the Spanish on-line Covid form. Every new arrival had their temperature taken and forms (available in 4 languages), were required to be completed including my seat number, duration of my visit, address while in Spain etc.
Everyone was required to wear masks - in the street in the shops, even on the beach.

I arrived back in London on Friday 24th July. Airport staff at Departures never had any UK Covid forms and advised us to ask Cabin Crew. Cabin Crew advised us to pick up forms when we arrive in the UK.

There were no forms, there were no temperature checks, there were no sanitiser machines - just an e-passport scan and welcome to the UK. Our Government is lying to us!

The rapidly introduced Quarantine is a punishment beating - because Spain and Portugal stood firm with the EU during trade negotiations!"
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

It seems Galicia has introduced a new control on people from some other regions of Spain. They have to register on arrival or face heavy fines. Sorry it's one of those long URLs and in Catalan.
Meanwhile in Catalunya they have imposed a ban on "botellons" the young groups of kids who make a cocktail in a coca cola bottle and pass it around. Fines of 3000 to 7000€.
Here in our town one bar put up a notice that they'd only serve people from this province. They had to take it down but the people of the town share their feelings. One man from Barcelona tested positive in Barcelona then jumped in his car to "recover" here in quieter Palamos. Now he's in the hospital here!!!!
Here's the Galicia link
https://www.ccma.cat/324/galicia-obliga ... a/3039735/
joddle

Post by joddle »

Looks like Spain is in trouble again - seems odd as the rise started to steepen again on second week in July - i.e. 2 weeks after the start of summer holidays for many tourists! I think Spain should have closed its borders but no doubt needed the tourist cash. Sad really as so many people are now going to suffer because of that. For sure it will get worse before it starts to get better again. All that very successful hard work in May and June seems to have been wasted.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.