The problem with remote control heating

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi Jane,
We do have a set schedule of 20C during the day (until 10pm) then dropping to 18 at night. The issue is we can't cap what they can control locally. We want guests to be comfortable and have the ability to adjust to suit themselves, its just that 28 seems unhealthy!
Janev1000

Post by Janev1000 »

So when your schedule switches over, do they keep turning it up? I think that's a major flaw with Hive in that you can't cap the temperature. I'm in the same situation as you in that I live off site but more reason for me to worry that the gas will run out! I check the supply every fortnight so this would be ok if guests are sensible with their use as I get approx 70 hours of gas with each bottle and 2 get changed each time, with 2 as back up. My temperatures are set to 20c for some periods and 18c for others, depending on the weather, which seems to suit most guests as it's only a small cottage with a wood burner for extra warmth. However, I think I'd have to intervene if the temperature was continually hiked up to 28C!, especially as I do pre-mention this in my pre-arrival info. Personally, I think that temperature is a bit abusive if there are no medical needs involved and I'd be tweaking it a bit, especially during the night.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi Jane,
Correct you cant currently cap the temperature with Hive. The do continue to update what can be done and there are a number of requests for landlord style functionality.

They seem to have relaxed the temperatures they are using a little as it now seems to have been more like 25 most of the time. I would still find that pretty uncomfortable myself. They probably have the windows open as well!

I have been thinking of ways I could possibly cap the temperature, I do have another internet connected thermostat that I could fit. I could then set up an IFTTT (If this, then that) rule to automatically turn the stat back down to a maximum allowed temperature. All a bit to complex to do really.
Eagerbeaver

Post by Eagerbeaver »

Hive is really not ideal for FHLs. Who suggested you fit that?

We looked at several systems and was pushed towards Hive but it was too compromised.

We ended up going for Heatmiser Neo. It has no learning function but is very customisable and in a year of running it have only good things to say about it.

Hive is great for home use but even there we went for Heatmiser so we could run a single app. There is also a plug adaptor allowing you to switch lights.

Very cheap too.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I did originally have Heatmiser WiFi, the version before Neo. The initial Heatmiser solution had a big security issue which they fixed by removing most of the functionality. I wasn't very impressed with the way that Heatmiser handled that issue so wasn't prepared to invest more with them.

Hive is pretty good for us and has been reliable, we use the additional PIR sensors to alert us when guests arrive. It doesn't currently have the ability to cap heating but the software is updated frequently so I expect this will get fixed over time.
OSINCLAIR

Post by OSINCLAIR »

We also have Hive and I have no issues with turning it down when I see misused. Doesnt happen very often thank goodness. No one has ever challenged me for doing so. If misuse continues I just call them to ask if they are having issues with the heating and need my help. I do think the manual theromstat provided is complicated for people to use especially elderly people with poor eyesight (was that ageist?) so think also that some just dont know what they are doing. Telephone callls confnirm that theory! They just think its a bit chilly lets ramp it up. My husband does the same in the car and it drives me nuts.
tchn

Post by tchn »

We've now been using the Heatmiser Smartstat (simpler and cheaper than the Neo and without the need for a modem plugged in to the router) for 3 months and i've been very pleased with it. I have a plan running the same every day of the week and have locked it. Guests can increase or decrease by 5 degrees (I choose that - I could make it much smaller), but at the next programme stage it returns to programme. I ensure they know this and tell them to call me if they want the programme changed. The only time i couldn't access it (from 100s of miles away) led to me checking the electricity board site and finding there was a major power cut.
moray_cottages

Post by moray_cottages »

We've recently had a Hive installed in one of our cottages - we've got a regular guest in at the moment who must be walking around in his pants as the current temperature in the house is 26 degrees with the thermostat set at 28 degrees! The poor boiler :roll:

I've just installed the IFTTT landlord control that resets the thermostat back to our scheduled temperature every hour :D
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We have Hive and while I like it this is the one lacking feature. You are lucky it is just 28! We had guests leaving it at max (I think 32) for a week when I am sure they had the windows open.

We set our schedule to kick back to 20C several times a day so if they go out it should drop. Some guests re set the schedule which you cant lock out on Hive. I dont like the IFTTT model as if I were staying I would feel the owner was spying on me and turning down the heating. I really thing BG should allow us to set a temperature cap.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I think setting is down to 20 degrees is too low. People tend to feel colder when they are away and the Age UK guide suggests the elderly heat their main living areas to 21 degrees. If you set it too low, people who don't understand how thermostats work then crank it up to max thinking it will get hotter quicker. Even worse if you alter it remotely when they're out - if when they get back and find it's not warm enough, they will then set it to be really hot when they leave next day so that it is warm enough when they get back next time.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Had a frost stat wired up reverse ways round for the last 5yrs. It turns the Heating off at 22 degrees (Knee Height).

5yrs and no complaints so far and i'm happy too although the heating bills are still high for me, i have brought it under control.

Guests are no longer opening windows because it's too warm and then leaving them WIDE open for the day when they go out so the property is also much more secure when unoccupied too.

I did have a guest last autumn who was a heating engineer who questioned "I don't know how you're doing it but it's working!" He went on to say they've all been warm enough, no complaints. I didn't enlighten him.
AlexCaro

Post by AlexCaro »

Maybe, in this case, you can sign up some papers with your guests that include rules using electricity, water, etc. And if they want a higher temperature in the room, they must pay extra
The more you know
moray_cottages

Post by moray_cottages »

moray_cottages wrote:We've recently had a Hive installed in one of our cottages - we've got a regular guest in at the moment who must be walking around in his pants as the current temperature in the house is 26 degrees with the thermostat set at 28 degrees! The poor boiler :roll:

I've just installed the IFTTT landlord control that resets the thermostat back to our scheduled temperature every hour :D
We’ve got guests in at the moment who are repeatedly turning the hive thermostat up to 31 degrees! It’s actually 22 in the cottage which is just a 1 bedroom and feels very warm at 19 so they must be walking around naked! Also got a IFTTT set up thank goodness!
ironheartedgog

Re: The problem with remote control heating

Post by ironheartedgog »

I’ve read through these posts and know exactly how you all feel.
We started renting a converted commercial building as a holiday let back in October 2021.
The heating has caused more stress than anything else.

We started with a straightforward setup, locked giving guests basic adjustments. It soon became apparent that wasn’t going to work, so we put extra thermostats, splitting the property into 5 zones. Temperatures could be set between 18c and 22c in each room.

After a few bookings we had a young couple with a small child visit and this booking was the turning point that made me upgrade to a app driven system. They first hacked the security on the stats (Google was not my friend) and got the temperature up in the high 20s, then opened all the windows and doors because by now they could no longer control the heating. Eventually the boiler crashed giving an overheat error code.
Once they left I managed to reverse everything they’d done, including the reprogramming of the boiler water temperature that had caused the crash… luckily no serious damage.

I have now upgraded to a Heatmiser Neo system and controlling everything on my phone. I allow guests to adjust temperatures within a controlled range and the heating system switches off if a window is opened (10 wireless window switches added).
I’ve also left instructions on adjusting the temperatures, and given my mobile phone number where they can ask me to customise their temperatures… I don’t mind letting them stay at any temperature, as long as they keep the effing doors and windows closed!!

I know I can never stop people fiddling with the heating, but at least now I get texts from my heating system when they’re doing it.
paolo

Re: The problem with remote control heating

Post by paolo »

That is very hi-tech. What happens if someone wants to sleep with bedroom window open, but also wants a warm downstairs when they get up in the morning?
Paolo
Lay My Hat